How old is too young to dye your child's hair?

BM of SD5 put highlights in her daughter's hair for the 2nd time. The first ones were just about grown out and she goes and does the crap again. SD turns 6 tuesday and that is way way too young in my opinion. STBDH was irrate when BM sent him a pic of her and said "Notice anything different?" He went off.

jncstepmomof3

Asked by jncstepmomof3 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Personally anything younger than 13/14 is too young.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I don't understand why a little girl needs highlights. My girls will not be allowed to dye their hair any color until they are in their later teens and I hope even then they won't want to because their natural hair is beautiful. Why can't we teach our daughters that they are beautiful just the way they are???
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I put a pink highlight in my DD who is 3.5 hair for the summer. It washes out in like 10 washings. I would never do anything more permanent than that until she was closer to 13-15.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• As long as the childs skin is protected and it isn't being done in excess..pick your battles. She IS the BM, it is HER child too. Hair grows. It is too easy to get tripped up on the simple stuff so you can't talk about the important stuff. It isn't like the child is in school and she dyed it blue, against school regs or something. Let it go.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think if the child is under 14 they shouldnt have andy dye in their hair. Its too grown for them.
    1sexymother

Answer by 1sexymother at 9:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• When she can is old enough to vote. That is the rule in our house.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Wow did I botch that one. Should say When she is old enough to vote.
    pookiekins34

• I would say that any kid under the age of 18 is too young. You are going to dye your kid's hair?
    By the way.....BM of SD5 ? Is that CODE?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• BM= birth mom SD5= step daughter 5yrs old. No I'm not dying her hair, her mother did and her daddy didn't like it. WE both think it's too young and she's messing up her hair.
    jncstepmomof3

Comment by jncstepmomof3 (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Not only is it damaging the child's hair but its also damaging their self worth. They are always going to think they have to change something about themselves if the parents are changing so young
    3lilANGELS236

Answer by 3lilANGELS236 at 7:58 AM on Jun. 28, 2011