Why can't parents take responsiblity for there children? Video games don't cause violence parents that have no guide lines cause children to act out violently.

If you don't want to monitor your children don't expect the government too. Get up stop being lazy and educate yourself, your children are growing there generation is different from ours. Step up be parents for goodness sake and stop thinking someone else is going to raise your kids.. There is a rating on video how about you take the time to learn the ratings and know what your buying your children.

Do you honestly think VIDEOGAMES cause violence?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I agree. I do not think video games cause violence. Parents should try spending time with their kids, teaching them right from wrong, real from pretend. Stop blaming others for your parenting or lack thereof. It's the parents job to teach their kids. My son is 14 and has been playing videogames since he was 4 and he is one of the most gentle kids ever. He plays some pretty violent games too. He knows and understands the difference between real and pretend, right from wrong. I taught him how to behave appropriatley.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I agree its all in the raising of your children!!! A child can grow up in an abusive home(god love their hearts) dont grow up killing or hurting ppl( IN MOST CASES NOT ALL) ...........Just because the video games do this does not mean the chidren act upon it...its up to the parents to teach their children right from wrong..and life things.
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 9:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• THEIR children ---and yes, violent video games are not good for kids. Parents don't seem to care. Kids play X-Box games that are basically shooting and killing. LITTLE kids play these games.. Somebody has to do something about it.

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:21 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I agree with you anon. While i don't think video games cause chidlren to be violent, i do think it's not good for them either. i think it causes them to be desensitzed to violence and human suffering. But in the end, no matter what our kids do, play, watch, or whatever, it's the parents responsibility to educated and communicate about what our children 'take in'. It's parents responsibilty. period.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:13 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Video games are harmless as long as parents do their job and PARENT. My brothers and I were never restricted on what games we played, and we NEVER acted violent towards another or felt it was okay to beat or shoot another for no good reason. WHY- my parents taught us the difference between REALITY and FICTION.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think that seeing shooting/violence does desensitize kids to the horror of the actual events. I am a strong advocate of gun rights, we have some in our home, and we teach our children gun safety; but I don't allow realistic looking violent video games.
    I would hope that as my children get older they know the difference between reality and fiction, but that argument just doesn't hold water when you look at what the studies are showing about the link between real life violence and video games.

Answer by missanc at 9:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• THANK YOU OP!!!

I HATE when people blame things like video games or TV for corruptness in our children!!! IT'S YOUR JOB AS A PARENT to teach the right and wrong of these things. I was able to play video games a kid, my father also taught us how to use guns (supervised), when we were young, growing up in the country.. I NEVER once thought about being violent towards others.. I was taught respect for the gun, and the rights and wrongs about the video games we played, etc.

IMO if you kid screws up, you have no one to blame but yourself as a parent. It's not the teachers fault, it's not the bullies at schools fault, its the parents who don't step in, and teach how to properly handle situations in life.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I agree OP.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think parents should monitor their kids' video games. They are the the ones with the final say of what their children do or play.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2011