Any breast feeding ideas/advice? Please??

Johnathan is 2 and a half months old now. For about the last 4 days or so he has preferred to eat only from my right breast. Only during the day, he's too tired and hungry at night to care then. Any ideas on why he would all the sudden do this? My DH thinks he's teething and I don't disagree but why would that make him choose one boob to another? I'm having to pump the one today cause it's starting to hurt since he hasn't eaten from it all day. Ouch...

Navymama

Asked by Navymama at 5:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard of this happening, when one child favors one breast over the other. Don't give up on the breast your little one doesn't prefer, or you will have a little lop-sidedness going on ;) Pump when he refuses it, as you have been doing, and keep offering it to him. Try it first before you try the other. If you keep doing this, I'm sure things will even out.
    theitalian3721

Answer by theitalian3721 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Thanks for the encouragement. It really helps, I am more calm now. I was pretty stressed when I posted this, because I had just got over the boob battle with him. ;-) He is sleeping now instead of crying so I am relaxing a little. Hoping your suggestions work though!!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 5:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• If he continues it and runs a fever maybe you can get his ears checked out. My youngest prefers my right breast because it lets down faster than the left. You could try to massage that breast before nursing that side so that the milk is almost already ejecting. Or you could have the other problem and the letdown is too fast--in that case express some milk beforehand to minimize the letdown.
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 5:42 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My son is 21 months and has always had a perferance for the right side. At about 12 months I stopped forcing it and I don't make very much milk on the left(my supply would be low anyway, I'm almost 8 months pregnant). I haven't had any issues with being lop sided, I was scared I would but I don't. The left has never been comfy for me. My nipple is smaller and in the beginning it really hurt to nurse on that side so I had a preferance too. I don't think it's a big deal. I have heard of women who only nursed on one breast through their entire nursing relationship.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My daughter did this for a while but she soon got over it. He maybe going threw a faze.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 4:07 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• it could spray to fast,try pumping the breaset he doesnt use then feed him from it,with my lil one i would let her drink from her fav one then i would switch real quick,laying down and just lean over a bit
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:14 AM on Dec. 15, 2008