How old was your LO when you first took him or her to the beach?

Emmajosmommy

Asked by Emmajosmommy at 9:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I started taking my kids to the beach when they were infants. Just be sure to set them in the shade. Don't depend on sunscreen screen alone. If you don't have one of those fancy new "cabanas", you can bring a big umbrella for that small spot of shade.

Once they can sit up, they will want to dig in the sand. Sand play is good, educational, a wonderful sensory experience, but expect to see your LO put it in his mouth! All kids throw sand, too. It isn't because they are naughty, but because it is fun to throw. It's a new experience.

Go as early in the morning as you can. Leave on or before noon, when it gets too hot, and the dangerous UV rays are directly overhead. I never use sunscreen. I almost never burn. I just use common sense. I swim out in the morning, sun my self for no more than 30 min, then either put on a light, long-sleeved shirt or find some shade. If you go early, you usually don't have to fight for parking.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• He was 2 1/2 his first time at the beach.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Both of them started going to the beach around two weeks or so...we lived about a block away for two years, and took almost daily walks. on the beach.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 10:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We took all of our girls by the time they were 2 but my youngest went last year and she was 1, she loved it, we took her back this year at 2 and I didn't think it would be possible but she loved it even more..
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• my daughter will be 6 months july 7... I want to take her this summer to the beach just for the day :)
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My sone was about 1.5 yo the first time I took him. It was a it chilly that day so we just put our feet in the water. I thought for sure he'd be totally freaked out by the loud waves and the vastness of the ocean, but he loved it! It was so much fun and at the same time terrifying. He kept wanting to run into the waves. I just took him back a few weeks ago now that he's 3 and we had a blast (he listened so much better).
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 10:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We havent took ours to the beach yet but plan to soon.. They are 3 almost 4 and 2
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• She was about 18 months old. We took her to Jamaica, mon!
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 11:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• well, her first time at the beach by the ocean was in march she just turned 2 the day before. but first time on the beach by the lake is when she was about 5months but we didn;t stay or anything we justwas hanging out for a few. then this year we have been in the water alot. twice this summer. she absolutely loves it.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I took mine when she was 2 and at first she didn't like it, now she loves the beach and she's 3,
    TashaStar81

Answer by TashaStar81 at 1:33 AM on Jun. 28, 2011