Why do you think children with Autism are unable to sleep through the night specially when they are between the ages of 2-5?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I don't know about all children with autism, but my son (who is on the spectrum) needs to have the room dark- light bothers him-- so we bought him an eye sleep mask to wear each night, he also cannot sleep if he is too warm- so we have a fan (or the a/c) going in his room. (the noise of the fan/ac also helps to muffle any household noises). He also can't sleep if he does not have his favorite blankets-- he likes the weight and soft, plush fabric they are made out of.
    When he does get to sleep he is a good sleeper and will sleep for 10-12hrs/night if I let him.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:38 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Could be sensory issues or over stimulation. I know sometimes weighted blankets are used to help them relax and sleep better.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Well not all children with autism have this problem. My sons sleep through the night just fine and they are 2 & 5. However, they have to have music on and a nightlight on.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2011