Baby falls to sleep while nursing every night...about to wean her....how will I get her to sleep?

My youngest is almost 11 months and I'll be introducing cow's milk soon and switching her from breastmilk....my biggest fear right now is the fact that every night I nurse her to sleep. I'm not a fan of cry it out, so any tips on how to get her to sleep without the breast??

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She may fuss a little bit at first until she gets use to it. You can leave bedtime duty to dad and let him rock and comfort her until she gets use to not nursing to sleep.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• She might surprise you! Mine did. She clung to me ALL day and nursed every hour (even through the night up until 10.5 months old) and one night....just after she turned 1....she didn't latch on when I offered. She still nursed in the day, but not at bedtime. Within a couple weeks she fully weaned herself. GL!

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 11:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• i would say try a pacifier. sometimes they just need to suck something. a paci is ok til about 18 months
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I don't have to, but I'm pregnant again and I would like a short nursing break before the new baby comes.
    cdecker83

Comment by cdecker83 (original poster) at 10:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• bump
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Oh I also wanted to add that we still cuddled at bed time....only instead of laying on the boppy, she sat on my lap and we got to read "night night" books. She was pretty excited about hearing the stories :o) Maybe that will help distract your daughter.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 11:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• you may need dad to step in and take over at night time. how far along are you? many moms will actually dry up during pregnancy. if you do, then you won't have to worry about weaning, the pregnancy will have done it for you.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Check out Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution. And put dad to work at bedtime... you kiss baby good night in the family room, he takes it from there and you disappear from her world till morning.

Remember to drop only one feeding per week till gone to prevent engorgement and mastitis.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Do you have to stop nursing?
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2011