Why is nudity and sexuality so taboo in the United States? Graphic pictures- may offend some. adult content

I was on Facebook earlier today and ABC was asking Desperate Housewives fans their opinion on the art for an upcoming series "Pan Am". Here are the two pictures to choose from.

Anyways, some of the comments on the second picture were- "Only in America would this be allowed", "This degrades women", "This is trashy and tacky", etc.

Several of the people basically said that they didn't want this pic for the above reasons. Now, notice, it is airing at 10 pm not 7 or 8. I could understand not wanting your child to see this picture if it is advertised while they are watching tv at night.

Here is my thing though. All of these people are flipping out because it is showing her backside. One person's comment said "Only in America will this be allowed!". Really? Because when I lived in Germany, there were billboards like these all over town-

(This billboard was made from special paper. When it rained it would "show through" the shirt.

As I said before this billboards can be found around town and the Playboy one is right outside a park. Also, if you go to the schwimbad (public swimming pool), there is a section where you can sunbathe nude. There are no walls, cover ups, etc to hide these people. It is just a place where you can go do it if you choose too. In their equivalent to a Sears catalog, they sell dildo's right next to kitchen appliances. The models in the catalog also pose nude in the tanning beds.

Those are just a few examples of how nudity is viewed more natural in certain European countries. I was curious to know, what your thoughts are on why this subject is so taboo here in the United States. Do we have better "morals" than they do or are we just uptight goody two shoes?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 10:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Maybe we're just getting so fat we are ashamed of ourselves...completely kidding, of course...just my own rant being 3 weeks postpartum! LOL

I think that we have bred a culture where we are only naked if we are being sexual, thus any skin is sexualized.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Americans are prudes, lol I'm american, so I don't necessarily mean that in a mean way, but in comparison to other countries, we are. But honestly, I don't care, I don't want to be reminded of sex 24/7, just my preference.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Only in America my ass. We are an extremely prudish country. Where else but in Europe can you find the news in the nude, sex shops on the main streets, etc.

It isn't about morals, it is about religion.
    Anonymous

• To me (and this is just my opinion) there is a difference in just being nude and "advertising" sex. I don't have a problem with nudity, people sunbathing nude, my kids seeing some nudity,etc...but when it starts to cross that line of advertising sex...then I will admit, I'm a bit more uncomfortable with it...I hope this makes sense. Do you get what I mean???
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I would say America is moderate.... On one side you have Europe. On the other side you have the Middle East... The US is in the middle. But I am sure there are some who would rather paint America in a negative way to suit their agenda....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think a human body is private and like a temple. Not meant to be shown to the whole world!
    Anonymous

• I love how America was founded from "freedom from oppression"... yet we have laws far more strict than those we seceded from!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• There has to be some restraint in a civilized society. There is nothing wrong with nudity, but I don't want it on my TV or on the billboards as my 16 yo son is driving down the street so distracted by the bigger than life breasts with the bigger than life nipples in his face. Or the bare bun man on the beach advertising some obscure product while my granddaughter is in a car riding with my ex-DIL who can't concentrate on the road and the ass in her face at the same time. We HAVE to have some limits.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• IMO, using sex to sell something is low class and trashy. I do not need a half naked man to talk me into trying a product. I am more likely NOT to buy into it. Whatever happened to leaving something to the imagination???

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Why the helll am I considered a "prude" and a bad person beause I dont want to lok at some womans boobs. I got a pair......that works for me I dont need to see anyone elses thanks. And I see NONE of you open-minded-so-far-our-brains-have-fallen-out people address the issue of the negative affect this FAKE beauty and FAKE sexuality affects young impresionable girls. Every single one of those ads you posted is extremely airbrished and fixed. THOSE women dont look like that! So dont habd me your crap about priudish Americans.....how about NOT objectifying woment to sell your products!? HOW about some full frontal naked MEN?! Yeah.......thats what I thought.....
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2011