Am I Wrong?

I'm a Mom who's on disability & because I am I don't file an income tax. My parents are in a financial crunch & asked me if I would allow them to claim my daughter on their income tax so they'd get more back & be able to get back on their feet. At first I didn't have a problem with it but the more I thought about it I didn't feel comfortable about it at all. I don't want to jepordize the benefits my daughter & I both receive. My step-dad & my mom tried to reassure me that nothing would "happen" to either of us. But I still wasn't ok with it & when I told them I wasn't comfortable they accused my fiance' of being a jerk & saying that HE is just being a jerk & selfish. I mean it was BOTH of our decisions to not do something illegal & my parents just don't see it that way. It's now to the point that my fiance' is no longer welcome at their house for Christmas or ever. Am I wrong for not helping?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• how about u offer them some money.. u dont mind them havin the money from calming ur daughter. y not have ur husband claim her and give them some money?
    Anonymous

• They need several thousand dollars and we just don't have that kind of money =(
    Anonymous

• No, I don't think you're wrong at all. I think your parents are being selfish. If your not comfortable with it, then don't do it. They need to figure out a different way to get back on their feet, one that isn't illegal.
    And they are completely wrong for calling your DF names because of a decision you made together. I really do hope that you are not planning to go to their house for Christmas after they have treated him like that. It would be sending them a clear message that they can bully you and you will accept them treating your DF badly.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 5:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• yes it is illegal,they have to have gaurdianship or custody of her,let them find another way,if you all get caught,and they find out ,you helped,you are going to be as guilty as them.You ned to stand up to them and tell them no.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Your just going by the law. I see why you want to do that. I've seen this done in my family and no one was caught or anything they just came up with a plan to say they were raising the child. Choose what you want.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't do it. You will get caught. My sister had a friend who did this and is now paying it back through garnishment. You are on disability and you and your daughter need what little you get. You shouldn't feel guilty because there isn't anything to feel guilty about. Your mom is just PO'd and taking it out on the wrong person, your SO. So to answer your question, NO you are not wrong! Sorry to say this but shame on your mom for even considering that.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Plus not to mention that by doing this they are endangering your child bc if you are caught and go to jail your child will be taken from you. You are doing what is best for your family, good for you!
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 6:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I think you are very justified in your decision not to help. It's not your fault they are having money troubles so it's not fair of them to expect you to help fix it. Plus, not only is it illegal, but as you mentioned, it can affect the benefits YOU get for your child... so they would, in essence, be taking money from your child. And it's not right of them to put blame on your fiance. I think that they need a serious reality check and to stop being so selfish. They're not only asking you to help them financially, but what they're asking is also that you take a HUGE risk and that you reduce what you would get for your child. Good luck with things. I hope they come to their senses soon, especially with the holidays.
    mindy_marie

Answer by mindy_marie at 6:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• You are NOT wrong. Your parents were incredibly wrong to ask you to break the law for them.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:38 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I think it was wrong of them to ask you to do something illegal and could jeopardize yours and your daughters financial security. Plan for Christmas at your home, if they want to see you and your child they can come there.

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:57 PM on Dec. 14, 2008