Do you think that single moms have the role of being both mother and father?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 10:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No, I do not. A mother can NEVER take the place of a father!
    Anonymous

• To some degree yes. But children do need a male role model whether it's their father or another man in their life.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It depends on how much the dad is involved in the child's life. Just because she is a single mom doesn't mean that the dad is completely absent. However, if the dad is absent and their is no other male role model then yes, I do think that at some points the mom is having to fill the role of mother and father.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• No. I think that some single mothers are responsible for being their child's sole parent and sole support. They are not fathers and some of them do an outstanding job.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 11:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think every situation is different...................I am a single mom, dad is not in the picture........I think you take on the role of a "parent" not so much a mother or father, if you provide, love, support, and care, that is what a child needs it does not matter if it is coming from a "mother or a father"

mygirls41

Answer by mygirls41 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• No. No matter how great a parent is, they are not two parents and can't fill the role of both.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I am a single mother, a widow in fact. I will never try to take the place of their father. That would be impossible. ALL I can do is give 100% in my role as their mother.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• They are irreplaceable, a Father can not be a Mother just as a Mother can not be a Father. If 1 parent is not in the childs life, the other has to take on ALL the responsibility to the child- therefore taking on the role of both Mother and Father, so I can completely understand how a single Mother or Father with no support from the other parent feels they are taking on both roles because essentially in many ways they are!!! However most know they can not take the place of the other, some single parents are very lucky to have relatives they step in as a Mother or Father figure- Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles etc........that is a blessing, although they also can not replace a Father or a Mother they can still be a positive male or female influence. I really feel for single parents that do not have that support, parents need to man or woman up and start putting their children first!!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• No. Parent. That is the role preformed, being a parent. My husband cooks, cleans, does laundry, braids my sons hair, takes him to doctor's appointments...in all ways he parents our child. I equally do those things but not so great at cooking. I am a parent. My title is mom and my husband's title is dad. Other than that we equally raise and parent our child. If single my husband would not be Mr. Mom and I would not be Mrs. Dad. Just doing the same things we always did, meeting tge needs of a child. The idea I would need both titles is odd because it is not two different roles.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:44 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My sons father was killed in a car accident 4 years ago, I'd never wish for someone to assume I'm mom and dad. He had an amazing daddy and I will try and keep every memory of him alive. I'd never want to play the daddy role or let anyone else.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 28, 2011