Does anyone else HATE getting parenting advice from their MIL?

I don't mind it from anyone but her. Anytime she suggests something it makes me mad and I wanna tell her hey they are my kids not yours. I'm only like this with her though. Everyone else, I usually say that's a good idea but our way works for us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• Yes - I hated getting advice from MIL. She was a piss poor Mom - DH, BIL and FIL will attest to that. If she wasn't out drinking she was out spending TONS of FIL's money getting them into severe debt. As soon as she became a "grandmother" she thought that her ways/advice trumped everyone elses. She thinks she is "mother superior". W/my Mom I'd listen and decide to use whatever suggestions - often times I turned a deaf ear to her and just let her ramble and let her think I was listening :) My SMom is a pediactric RN so I'm open to whatever she says.
    Fooph121780

Answer by Fooph121780 at 9:41 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Ew yes, especially because 4 out of 6 of her kids turned out horrible!
    and she runs a dirty household and is a b*tch and a negative person.
    Anonymous

• No not my MIL but my FIL everytime he tries to give me advise i just want to tell him to shut the **** up bc he thinks he knows everything even though he split up his 2 boys when they were little.
    mommy20507

Answer by mommy20507 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• No, I listen to advice from my MIL, she raised one hell of a son so she must have done something right!
    Anonymous

• i hate advice from anyone but i take it from my mil because shes the sweetest person in the world and shes mostly right
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 5:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• If she wanted to make a suggestion then fine, but usually she is very demanding as to how I should raise MY child, so yes I hate it. Besides she did a pretty crappy job with her only child.

I definitely feel for ya!
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 5:57 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Is there a reason why you hate her so much? ;) ... Well not sure if "hate" is the right word. But it has a lot to do on how you get along with her... in my opinion.

I love to talk about my daughter with my MIL. And if she has an idea or advice I will listen very well. Because she is older than me and has more experience on how to raise a child. Im glad about every advice, but if i then follow this idea/advice is a different thing.

But if there is something that really bothers you with your MIL why dont you just tell her?!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• YES!! Thank God, she's not my DH's mom. She's always on our case about our son, who's autistic. The woman is CLUELESS but one of those who professes to know everything about everything. I'm just glad we only see her once a year.
    LIZARD66

Answer by LIZARD66 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• the funny part is it's no my MIL who does this...it's my mom...ugh! i tell her every single time she sees us, before she opens her mouth to even utter the words "hello" that if she decides to tell me how to raise my son that she won't be seeing or hearing from us for a while...that seems to shut her up quick
    Jeanine

Answer by Jeanine at 8:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Haha I feel the exact same way about the MIL shes VERY old fashioned.. and my own mom puts her 2 cents in when its not needed a little 2 often too!.
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 11:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2008