might have another child...but he's 13

me and my husband might be getting custody of his little brother who is 13 at the moment.. and we are planning on conceiving in jan/febish time...should we still try and conceive or should we wait till things level out after the custody issues...? i already have one child 15mo old...

Fudgemomma

Asked by Fudgemomma at 5:38 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in General Parenting

• umm,... isay still try!! u want a baby right? well i say do it!
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• That's a tough one. If you think the 13 year old is going to be happy about the change and not cause you a lot of problems, then I'd say go ahead. If you think you are going to have a lot to deal with, it might not hurt to wait a few months.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Wait. Just take my word for it, and wait until things settle down with the 13yo. This whole process is going to be very hard on him, and there is a good chance he will act out depending on the situation leading to him moving in with you.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 7:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I would wait things might get way to hectic!
    Juliannamommie

Answer by Juliannamommie at 9:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• If you're familiar with the 13 yr. old's attitude and you know he's the type to take things in stride...go for it, however if you're not sure of his initial reaction to this change, give him some time to feel things out before you go ahead and try. Having a 15 month old and a teenager is stressful enough, regardless of how they came into your life so a little stress detox would do some good before making that decision.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I can't think of anything that it would negatively impact if you did get pregnant. He would probably be thrilled to be an uncle again and might enjoy helping out around the house with the baby. My nephew is in middle school and begging to babysit my baby when she's born (I'm flattered he's offered, but the answer is no! lol). Maybe you discuss with your husband and see about talking with your little brother in law about how he feels about another baby on the way. Just let him know it's definitely a possibility and you wanted to know his feelings about it.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2008