Going back to being a SAHM

I have been working full-time for almost 2 years now and because of work changes my husband and I decided that I should be a stay home mom. I was one with my daughter for some time but now we have two kids and I'm sort of nervous. How do you make it work with two kids? Any tips for me? Especially financial tips! Thanks.

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• i'm not a sahm but i would say coupons and routine. make a plan for what you want to do and then just stick to those plans and also look into activities with the kids because it doesn;t all have to be about housework and getting dinner ready ect. i have stayed home about 2months now and i start my fulltime job tomorrow for the summer. good luck. hats off to all the sahm. i so could not do it.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Try to entertain them with things that cost no money like walking to the park.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:32 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I'm a SAHM to 5. My kids entertain each other. We save money by having only one car, not doing activities that cost money, shopping at walmart for food, Target and Kohls (on the clearance racks) for clothes, goodwill for pants. We don't go all out for birthdays or Christmas. In fact tomorrow is my oldest dd's birthday. We have no gift for her but we let her have a camp out with her friends over the weekend (tent in our backyard) and I made a cake. Eventually we'll get her something but not sure when that will be and it will be just 1 thing. We used to limit birthday gifts to $30 and Christmas was $50-$75 per kid.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think you just have to be a little creative. I have been a SAHM to my 3 children for the past 9 years. IN the beginning it was hard because we had to learn how to save money and not just spend it on anything we wanted. I usually use coupons when shopping for everything, even when I buy clothes or we go out to eat. In the summer I would look for free things, for example our local movie theater does a free movie every Wednesday so we go to that. The library has some great free things as well. As my kids have gotten older we usually hang with friends at someones house or the park. At home we play games. Depending on the age you can do lots of things. Once we had a safari with all their stuffed animals. In the afternoon we would take quiet time and read for 45 minutes. I think setting a budget also really helped me and keeping track of our spending.

Good Luck and have fun!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Finanical will vary from person to person depending on your income, your bills and such. As for being at home. You find stuff to do with your kids. I am never bored. I don't know how people say they are bored at home. If nothing else, take a few oline college classes.
    momof5kiki

Answer by momof5kiki at 7:31 AM on Jun. 28, 2011