Why is my dog chewing the top of his foot? It's getting bald!

I try to stop him. I use bitter spray. And it's only his right foot, in one spot. Is this a hefty vet bill?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Pets

• Your pet may have some sort of allergy. One of my dogs is allergic to grass of all things... Every spring I break out the Children's Benadryl for her. You still would want to take your dog to your vet to see what is going on!
    bbbsstepmom

Answer by bbbsstepmom at 12:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It could be really itchy from some sort of bite. How long has he been doing this?
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My pup was doing that to her foot and it was the floor cleaner I was using,so I use something else and she is better. U need to take your dog to the vet for a diagnosis.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Obviously hes going to the vet. I assumed that in my question!

It's been about two weeks. It wasn't bald, he was just fidgeting. Now he's taking off hair! Just curious what I'm looking at here.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It also could be just a bad habit he's developed. My dog will do that when it's getting ready to storm outside...drives me nuts!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Do u have a pic that we could look at? It is an allergy.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Nope. Just a tiny centimeter bald spot on the top of his foot. Nowhere else.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It is probably allergies. My Golden used to do this as well. One of the many things she was allergic to was grass. But licking her paws had also become a habit. Another reason dogs do this is because of a obsessive compulsive disorder.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• A lot of dogs do this just because they are bored as well. Does he have a daily walk/playtime? Most dogs need a lot more attention than their owners can give them. Many people think that a long walk is a walk around the block and that is good enough exercise for their dog, when actually a dog could easily walk 10 miles a day and be happy. If your dog is a larger breed he might just need more walking time.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I agree with alpha- boredom could be the cause. We had a dog when I still lived at home that would chew one foot until it was bleeding because she was bored. She was very intelligent and it was like she was just bored with the day to day things in the house and outside. We would have to do new things with her- take her to a new place, get a new walking route, etc to keep her mind busy.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2011