Night-time Training

When trying to potty train at night, do you wake your kid up to go potty to try and avoid a bed wetting situation? Or do you try to make them hold it the whole night? My daughter was dry 6 out of the past 7 nights but last night was her first night without a Pull-Up so I got nervous and woke her up. I usually hear her go on her own. I'm struggling with, should I wake her or let her do it on her own and possibly wet the bed? (she'll be 5 in about 2 weeks)

banana-bear

Asked by banana-bear at 12:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Id say at first dont wake them. see how it goes & then adjust to that.
    If you have one put the baby monitor back in her room so you can listen to her better.. If she starts moving around, or you can hear her talk or whatever. then get up & take her to the bathroom.
    I say this because if she can hold it thru the night, ur just teaching her to wake up in the middle of the night hehe...
    But if she does need to go some nights hearing her stir around will help alert you. (i posted this yesterday for someone else too-) sometimes kids wake up & know they have a need. but are unsure of what it is. Confused they will just go back to sleep.

My dd is 4.5 but has been without diapers (nap/nighttime) since she was about 2.5. Some nights she needs to get up to pee. but most nights no. She will go shortly after waking in the morning. (DD sleeps with my mom- so she is able to ask DD if she needs to go pee if she start stirring)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• They say to wake them. My daughter is potty trained she is 3.5 and I do not wake her. I do not give fluids 1 hour before bedtime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• my ex-hubby's son, R, had this problem when he started to recieve visits with his 8 year old son, J. the forever bed wetter. R tried discussing said problem with mother (her solution was pull-ups and meds). meds didn't work bc doc told mom they are to help get him train not over night cure. pull-ups rash the size of texas. R got very angry at mother and said you're lazy..... so R gets son ever other weekend, and set up a routine of wakeing son up every two hours, then slowly down to 3am then again at 6am. now he is down to if he gets up to go pee he gets the son up to be sure.....but son got into such a routine of 3 and 6 that he is usually getting up before his dad...so if your daughter is already getting up on her own ..give her a chance.. if not, peek in and if she is tossing and turning then wake her up. do realize that accidents may happen but reward her with something for every dry night and she'll get it.
    southernlady184

Answer by southernlady184 at 1:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I didn't wake her up last night and she was dry. I think I'll stick to just letting her wake up on her own. I don't want her dependent on me waking her up or having to wake up at all. Thanks guys!

banana-bear

Comment by banana-bear (original poster) at 8:58 AM on Jun. 28, 2011