I am 16 wks. And I haven;t gained much weight. like 2 pounds. But i do eat plenty of food. this is my first pregancy. is that normal?

jacudra

Asked by jacudra at 5:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• everyone is different. at my 24 week checkup, I had only gained 4 pounds. Some women loose a lot during pregnancy, some dont gain at all, some gain a good amount, and some gain a lot.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 5:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I'm 23 weeks and have gained -4 pounds, and my doctor isn't concerned. It's normal not to gain much weight, and even to lose weight, during the first part of pregnancy. When the baby starts gaining weight, that's when the doctor will start being concerned if you're not putting on pounds (usually 3-4 pounds over a month is sufficient). I think the usual weight-gain table is something like 5-7 pounds the first trimester, 7-10 pounds the second, and 12-15 the third, or somewhere around that range, so not a big deal just yet.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 6:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Everyone's different. It's all according to your personal metabolism and how much you weight before you got pregnant.

Me personally, I'm 39 weeks and I haven't gained any weight. I lost about 15 pounds during the first trimester due to morning sickness and I've spent the rest of my pregnancy gaining that back. I'm one of the lucky ones, I suppose.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:06 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Yea its normal. You aren't exactly gaining weight, but its moving around :). Good luck with everything!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• yep, very normal! im 31 weeks and have gained 20-25 lbs, most of which was gained in the past 4 weeks. as long as you are eating, the baby will be fine.
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Yes. I haven't gained one pound in my last three pregnancies. I've never gained more than 10. Different people gain different amounts.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• It's perfectly normal. With both my pregnancy I was at a negative weight gain at that point due to morning sickness. Your doctor will be monitoring your weight and will let you know if it's not enough.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 7:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Yes. I didn't begin to gain weight until 20 weeks.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 8:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Wow your lucky. I started out at 108 and now im 34 weeks and ive already gained 45 pounds
    babygurl827

Answer by babygurl827 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I lost about 10 lbs, then ended up with a net gain of 12 lbs. As long as you're eating well and you're at a healthy weight already, you're okay.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:21 AM on Dec. 15, 2008