Worried a little

My son is showing some his Father's more fun behavioral traits. He laughs at the word no, he laughs if you smack his hand(we tried this for discipline because he doesn't respond to anything), he laughs you pinch him(it was the only thing we could think of to try and stop him from gagging himself in the carseat). He has full tantrums from anything holding him still(huge tantrums that last 20-30 minutes), won't walk on grass. I don't know I know he's young but it all feels off. He's almost a year old but it all just still feels off.
My Husband has asperger's syndrome and so does his Dad, his brother and several of his cousins so he a strong family history so you understand why it's a strong possibility.

Am I worried about nothing or does this sound like a valid concern? DH's parents didn't have this option because they didn't have the diagnostic criteria back then but what would be the next step if he just continues to be a little off with his behavior?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 12:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• IT IS YOUR INSTINCT AS A MOTHER TO TRUST YOUR GUT, ON YOUR NEXT VISIT TO THE DR MENTION IT SND SEE WHAT HE SAYS.  MAYBE IT IS JUST A PHASE AND IT WILL PASS

mygirls41

Answer by mygirls41 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• He is very young and some things might be related to his age. He sounds a lot like my oldest who was speech delayed, and extremely frustrated with being a baby. He wasn't able to express himself and would get into these full on rages. He got a lot better once he could talk. I think mine might be somewhere on the spectrum but it was never enough of a concern to have him tested. The good news is that he is also beyond bright (scores in the 99th percentile on IOWAs and can practically teach his math classes.)

Mention it to his ped and the worst that can be said is that they "keep an eye on it" and see if anything changes as he ages.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:58 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It is still too soon to tell. I would be more concerned about speech delays, inability to read non-verbal cues (even if you pretend to be mad/sad/etc. while playing pretend), not pointing or babbling.

Some kids are just very high intensity like that. I would suggest using a technique called "extinction" when he goes into his tantrums or starts laughing at inappropriate things. What you do is keep a very calm, still, demeanor, and without leaving him, look away and avoid eye contact until he decides to stop. Kids totally feed off of any attention, even if it is negative, like being told no, smacking hands, pinching, seeing you get flustered. Once he stops his behavior, then you make eye contact again with a big smile and continue as though nothing happened. You just have to be consistent with it. He's going to push the envelope to try and get a response, but if you can hold out and be consistent it will get better.
    Its.Me.T.

Answer by Its.Me.T. at 1:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I agree you should trust your motherly instinct, but I will tell you, my son was and still is like that and he does not have any form of autism. He is simply a hard-headed, stubborn little MAN!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2011