Dog poo in washing machine??

Okay... my puppy pooped in his cage and it is smushed all over the blankets that were folded in it... if I just drop these in the washer, put in on hot, and add some detergent, is it going to make a huge mess in my washer?? I know of no other way to get these blankets clean, they are disgusting, I actually considered throwing them away for a minute...

jluvskija

Asked by jluvskija at 5:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Pets

• bump.... please help!!
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 5:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• It doesn't make a huge mess in the machine, however, it also won't get your blankets clean either. You would just be washing them in hot/detergant poop water . . . . yuck. You can't wash them in poop water and expect them to get clean, they will still be dirty and smelly. You can try handwashing them in a bucket, just to loosen the poo off them, and then once they are poo free you can throw them in the wash machine.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 6:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Put them on a rince cycle with an ensyme solution. It is called OUT and you can get it at walmart in the pet isle.Then the poop will be rinced out and then you wash them in tide or what ever you are using and use OUT solotion again, with your detergent. PS if you have a puppy , use newspaper to put in his cage. You can stack it, to help your cleaning up after him, till you get him poty trained. G rate must be to big for dog, as they will do that if they need to go. A smaller grate will prevent him from doing that. But don't leave him in there more than a few hrs without potty breaks.Pups eating or drinking have a short span of time before they need to go potty. So try regulating when you put him in the grate. Good luck, and happy puppy training.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• i would rinsed it off outside with the hose first.......or if it was cheap and old i woulda thrown it out..lol..but thats me..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:53 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I live on a farm and have to wash "gross stuff" all the time. I just wash it, add some bleach, then I run an empty bleach rinse cycle after I take it out. No big deal.
    Anonymous

• I would clean off any large portions first by hand (with thick wads of paper towels...lol) or with the hose outdoors.
    Then I would put it in the wash with the bleach and wash the washing machine after the wash for regular laundry.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I should also say - this similar method is used for baby cloth diapers if you don't use a diaper cleaning service. Back in the 70's when I had 2 small brothers in cloth diapers, I remember dunking and rinsing them in the toilet to get the poo off and then putting them in the plastic bucket for my mom to wash in the washing machine.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:07 AM on Dec. 22, 2008