Selecting a babysitter/nanny

For health reasons I want to get a part time nanny or babysitter for my 3 year old and almost 5 year old girls. I'm still trying to figure out a schedule that would work. I'd probably be mostly home when she's over, but I still don't know how to go about getting one. I also still feel weird about the idea...someone in my home, anxieties about social class (I know, stupid)...are nanny cams recommended? It still seems like a foreign concept to me, maybe I feel guilty that I can't do it all, or maybe this is forcing me to really accept the limitations my health issues are are putting on me right now.

Is there anyone who can share their experience with the process? Thanks.

Pumamama

Asked by Pumamama at 12:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you are a member of a church or other social organization, I would look for some solid recommendations from other members there. If you are home, I would say you could easily get a 15 year old to come and help out. It would be less expensive than a nanny. I would have serious hesitations about just hiring someone based on a resume without knowing them or having them be referred to me.

It sounds like you are stressing out about this more than you need to. Relax and just ask around, ask neighbors, other family members, etc. And if you're still not positive, just let whoever you hire know up front that there will be a 1 or 2 week trial period before you make a final decision, but that they will still be paid for their time.
    Its.Me.T.

Answer by Its.Me.T. at 1:00 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Check with your local department of social service for daycare providers in your area; that is how I found mine. They have to go through screening to be certified and have no history of CPS reports/ child abuse. I even asked for personal references; which she was more then happy to provide!
    Mom_Of_3_Angelz

Answer by Mom_Of_3_Angelz at 2:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2011