Possible Depression??

I have realized that maybe I need to seek treatment for the way i've been feeling. I have 3 young kids and a great SO. I feel so empty. I don't feel like doing anything. I have been struggling in my college classes. I don't feel good enough. I feel like such a failure and that I haven't accomplished anything in my life. I feel like I always screw things up. I try to tell myself that I want to change but don't know where to begin. I feel so hopeless. I have always struggled with these feelings. It has become harder to manage after my boyfriend died in Sept 2009 of a heart attack related to his congenital heart defect. I just don't know what to do...

elizabg

Asked by elizabg at 1:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Health

• Sounds like depression to me. If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Sweety, you have accomplished a lot in life. 3 children and you are in college. I have suffered from depression in the past and just know you are not alone. You should find yourself a great support system whether it is friends, family, people on here, etc. Also, your college should have a student support service office you can go to and seek free advice! Feel free to add me as a friend or inbox me if you want to talk. I'm very sorry for your loss of your boyfriend as well. Have you spoken to a grief counselor at all about it?

supermama86

Answer by supermama86 at 1:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Honey, you are far from alone. 9 out of every 12 adults suffer from some form of depression. doc told me that today...I was shocked...but i have been bi-polar all my life. I am proud of what i have and of my kids but deep down doubt is always there. i hate shrinks and couselors and for years refuse to go but now i have found a perfect fit for me. she lets me vent and helps me see the other side of that coin....try to find some one that fits you....some times meds are helpful too. I take them and will for the rest of my life. have SO get books and learn about depression so that SO can understand and not feel helpless to give you what you need....sorry for your loss!
    southernlady184

Answer by southernlady184 at 2:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Thank you ladies for the support! It means ALOT!
    elizabg

Comment by elizabg (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• it's good you are addressing these feelings so you can take action. some people prefer to stay stuck in mossy water until i tell them it's only going to get worse, get out of the water. you CAN feel better but it takes a lot of work by focusing on you a little every day and seeking counseling. in your files create a "feel good" tab that you can use to put in happy birthday cards, nice letters, etc to be pulled out on these downer days. if you don't know WHY your sad, figure that out FIRST by journaling. write down what you HAVE accomplished for example. GL and never stop
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2011