Becoming a Christian means giving up all fun and following a life of rules.

Agree or disagree? Why? :-)

pwfaith

Asked by pwfaith at 7:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have been a Christian all my life, and I have found that when I am doing what I am supposed to be doing my life goes so much better. When you invite God in and truly believe in him they won't seem like rules.
    cdmommy3

Answer by cdmommy3 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I disagree. I used to be a Christian and can say the "new Evangelical Christianity" is sartly marketed. They have all the same music, concerts, rock starts, rallies, and "fun" as anyone else, maybe more. For every "bad" thing, there is an alternative answer (be it a holiday, video game, book, movie, etc). Of course, there are "rules", but they are worked around and always admnistered with a spoonful of sugar.
    Jazzmim

Answer by Jazzmim at 7:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Disagree. The things I thought were fun before I became a Christian were really harmful to myself. Not the fun I have is healthy.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I disagree. Cause first God has a sense of humor, he laughs. I know for one at me, lol Far as rules now if your talking about the rules(commandments) God has for us is to help us please him and give us enternal life. But as for men rules it's nothing compared to God's rules. lol
    jesspraise35

Answer by jesspraise35 at 8:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I disagree, I have more freedom and joy than I have ever know in my life. There is nothing that compares to the happiness of knowing that you get to spend the rest of your life in Heaven with our heavenly Father. He is there for us everyday of our lives He will never leave us or forsake us. Know that sounds like pure joy and happiness.
    jennkmcd

Answer by jennkmcd at 9:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I disagree with it as well. I think it is those "rules" that give us such joy and freedom to have fun. God wants us to have an abundant life. Jesus said "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 10:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Disagree.. i have had the most wonderful experiences in my relationship with Christ.. That statment could be far from the truth... I love being a Child Of God!! I wouldn't change it for the world... Rules? When you love someone so much and they ask you to stay away from things that will harm you and they know it is in your best interest.. That to me is love...
    jenandrews

Answer by jenandrews at 10:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• First, regardless if a person is Christian or not there are basic "rules" that must be followed in everyday life. We have rules regarding driving and if we don't follow thus we can get fined or even our license taken away. We have rules we have to follow at our jobs and if we don't we can get fired. There are always rules no matter what.

With that said, it doesn't mean there can't be FUN in life. Christ himself even enjoyed a party here and there.... I know this because he was at a wedding party and gave them all more wine to drink. :) So in short, yes there are rules, but it does NOT mean NO fun!! There is still FUN!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Becoming a Christian is a true joy that doesn't worry about giving up anything because your life will be filled with all that God intends for you. God gave us rules because if we all obeyed them there would be perfect harmony in the world. Too bad that isn't how things are. If you are truly a Christian you won't be worried about this question because God will fill your life many good things and good people.
    Anonymous

• DISAGREE. I have plenty of fun doing the things I love. Being a christian isn't about living under "religion and rules" and beating yourself up everytime you make a mistake. It's about knowing God's mercy, love and compassion and accepting that you do sin but there is a God that forgives, we will NEVER be perfect. We are already not worthy of God's kingdom because we DO sin. I think it's more about a personal relationship with God and him knowing your heart, not all the things you do or don't do.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2008