I feel fat

I weigh 150. I'm 5'4" and most of the time, I feel like I look okay.. But then I see pictures of myself and feel like a fatty mcfatfat. I started to lose weight, got down a few pant sizes.. Then found out I'm pregnant (which was planned so it's not bad news) I'm 12 weeks and haven't had the energy to work out like I was doing before baby. My question is.. Can I still go and work out, and still have results? I want to tone my arms soo bad. I have pregnancy yoga video's and can take my dog for a walk.. I know that exercise while pregnant will be good for me, which I plan on doing regardless of me slimming down, but I want to slim down also.

danichaos

Asked by danichaos at 2:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Can I still go and work out, and still have results?

You sure CAN!!! Working out while pregnant is good for you, your pregnancy, and your delivery.... Yes, you can still have results while you are pregnant and working out... Especially arms and butt. Just be careful of sciatica.. Don't up your weights... Just do more reps... don't do exercises that have you flat on your back after the first trimester) unless you consult your DR about a routine... I was able to run up to 1/2 way through my 8th month.  Check with your Dr, but you don't need to eat many more calories while pregnant.  So choose your meals wisely and work out and the best part?  Your post-natal body will awesome!!!  Good Luck!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You CAN work out! Especially if you were doing it before, it's safe. However, I would get your doctor's clearance before you get going on it. Take it easy on the weight, because you are at higher risk for injury while pregnant (thanks to relaxin, which is a hormone that loosens your joints), and as your belly grows, your center of gravity will shift and you are more likely to lose your balance. Keep an eye on your food intake, too, so you don't gain more than the recommended amount for your height and weight. I lifted weights, swam, walked, rode my bike and more throughout my pregnancy (on my bike until 34 weeks!). I gained 12 lbs by the end. I agree that you don't need more calories during pregnancy, but DON'T go below 1200 calories a day in the first trimester, 1500 in the second, or 1650 in the third. You don't need much more than that. Follow your doctor's advice. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:33 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I walked ALOT with all 3 of my pregnancies. It didnt really help me not to gain weight, but I think it helped me to lose the baby weight more quickly once i had my children.
    smushy79

Answer by smushy79 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• P.S. I have been skinny for over 22 years and know both sides.
    geminilove7717

Answer by geminilove7717 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You can definitely tone your arms and leg, even keep your torso strong, but weight loss during pregnancy is not healthy unless you are in the "obese" BMI category!!! Even then you don't loose, you pretty much stay the same or gain a bit. Tone, workout, but DO NOT expect to loose weight, it's not healthy!! Best thing is to talk to your OB/midwife about this!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• The very best thing you can do is ask your Doctor. Most women are encouraged to exercise. It makes you stronger but it should be done under a DR's suprvision. The tendency is to be tired during 1st trimester, so find some time to do something less strenuous like walking. If Dr okays, your best bet is to try yoga or any other fitness exercises with a trained exoert. First of all, it will motivate you, even when you are tired. You will also be sure that you are doing the exercises correctly, which is very critical to maintaining both your and your babies well being.
    BCwclmom

Answer by BCwclmom at 9:38 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Start walking. Then do situps. Then add weights. I went on the SOuth Beach Diet. I have been skinny for a long time.But most of my teens and until I was 21 I was chubby. I still feel insecure at times even though I am skinny. GL been there . If I can do it you can too.
    geminilove7717