To moms of gifted and talented-?

Could you please tell me about a process of selection to gifted and talented? What if the teacher does not nominate your child? I heard of the GATE test, but is this test given to everyone or only to some children? What are some other nuances one should know?

Thank you.

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 3:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd suggest you look up some of the writings of a lady named Alicia Bayer. She is very wise, and what she says really makes a lot of sense, pertaining to kids being gifted and talented and the fostering of your child's education.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Where we are, if you truly think your child is gifted, you can request to the school principal to have them tested. The principal will do order the testing and in the end the results stand for themselves.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You need to find out specifics about your district's program. The program itself, the selection process, etc is completely dependent on where you go to school.

In our district there are enrichment classes offered for K through 3rd. Admission to the program is based solely on teacher nomination and G/T coordinator approval. If you think your child ought to be included, you talk to the teacher but if your child does not have the grades or classroom performance to back it up, it's not happening.

In 3rd grade our students take a standardized test (Otis Lennon) and a statewide assessment test linked to NCLB. They are invited to join the official G/T program based on a combination of factors including the results of those two standardized tests, report card grades and teacher assessments.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• At my son's school, the teachers nominated a few students and the State sent in special instructors to give them tests. They tested reading, math and cognitive skills. Then they place the gifted students. In my son's 2nd grade class, they only chose 2 out of 25 students for the testing; only my son passed. I would suggest speaking to the teacher if you want your child tested.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 1:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It depends on the district. Here in NC ever child is given a test in 3rd grade, then if they do well enough on that test they take a second test, then they get together the results of those two tests, their grades, and their teachers to decide who gets in. The AG (in NC it's called Academically Gifted rather than Gifted and Talented, because they realize children can be gifted and talented in many different areas) teachers go into all the 3rd grade classes and work with the kids to identify those that are thinking on a higher level, because they aren't always the ones who make the better grades.
    If before that time the teacher or a parent realizes a child might be "gifted" then they can be tested early through nomination by the teacher or parent.

Answer by missanc at 2:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I have no idea, but good luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2011