how to write a college essay?

MamiiNurse

Asked by MamiiNurse at 6:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• Do some research. Be sure to document. Make an outline. Write a rough draft. Type it out. Run spell check. Let it rest for a couple days. Proofread. Make a final draft. Print out or save to disk- whichever the professor requests.

Answer by Bmat at 6:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• And dont forget APA format.

Answer by gemgem at 6:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• It could be MLA, APA or Chicago format, depends on the class.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Start with this...introductory paragraph that explains briefly what you're talking about, subsequent paragraphs that are concise and not wordy, and each paragraph stays on topic, and a conclusion. You must keep the body paragraphs on topic, professors hate when you switch right in the middle. It takes practice, but eventually you'll get it down. You should have learned these skills in high school too, if you took college prep courses.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• These ladies have given you some great advice. There are also plenty of examples online. Just google it.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• ? First, start with a complete sentence or question. I'm not sure about where you are, but at my college grammar mattered no matter what the subject was. If it wasn't clear, the professor would take points away.  How you write, does depend on the subject matter.  The format, depends on what you are writing.  Usually it has to do with referencing and bibliographies, not just essays. College writting isn't much different than high school writing.  It's the same format, the professors just expect more from you.

Anonymous

• They are probably going to be looking for a clear introduction with a clear thesis, a body that supports your thesis statement in logical order, proper citations for any outside information you use, and a conclusion. If you want me to look at it, send it my way...I actually teach a writing seminar for my college along with tutoring the composition classes there.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 22, 2008