Is it normal to be depressed during pregnancy?

I am six months pregnant and I have been extremely irritable and depressed throughtout the whole pregnancy. I was wondering if this is normal?

cameramommy77

Asked by cameramommy77 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I was moderately depressed throughout most of my pregnancy, and by my third trimester it was getting out of hand. I finally talked to my OB and he said that it was rare but normal to have severe depression during pregnancy. You should definitely talk to your doctor at your next appointment (or before) because there are depression medications that are safe to take during pregnancy -- even as far along as you are. I felt so much better after getting medicine, and my daughter came out perfectly normal and healthy. It is important that you be mentally healthy for you to take care of your little one, it will probably get worse and lead to postpartum depression if you ignore this.

Don't feel weird for feeling so down :( I know it is hard when all the other pregnant ladies you see seem so happy. Good luck!
    evaRoo

Answer by evaRoo at 6:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I have severe ups and downs with my pregnancies...I think it's a combination of the hormones and the fact that I truly HATE being pregnant. (In "everyday" life, I am a workout-a-holic, I love rare steaks and having a glass of wine with dinner, and I usually have boundless energy. To me, being pregnant feels like a curse!!) Some days I am fine and other days I feel like I hate everyone and everything, and I'm convinced my life totally sucks.

So anyway, feeling depressed is normal. :( But if you really can't shake it, never be afraid to talk to your doc about it! The best thing you can do for your baby right now is to take excellent care of yourself. And there is no shame in seeking treatment - in fact, it's admirable to be concerned and willing to do something about it!! Good luck, I hope you feel better soon. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• It's very common, but you should definitely talk to your doc about it. Hang in there!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:20 AM on Dec. 15, 2008