Am I legally allowed to let them come to my house?

My mom's boyfriend is my landlord. I just reconnected to my maternal grandfather who I've never met and my Great Grandma I have not seen in 5 years. They are coming here after Christmas and I would like to be able to let them stop by and see everyone (myself, my husband and 4 of my kids). I don't have alot of family to begin with. My mom and her father do not have a great relationship but I would like to form my own opinion (my mom has lied to me many times before) on what kind of man he is. Well I told my mom (she asked me to if I ever got a hold of him) and now my landlord is telling me I cannot allow them to come to "his trailer" but I pay rent. So it's a two-part question, should I go against it and let them come anyway? And would I be violating anything legally if I do? We do not have a written lease just my receipts of the rent payments.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• It may seem like a landlord tenant relationship but obviously it isn't because he is telling you who can and cannot come to your house. Further, if it was a landlord tenant relationship then there would be a legally binding lease in place, which the OP states that there is not. If you want a landlord tenant relationship have a lease written up and sign it so that he no longer can dictate what you do with his property. Paying rent does not give you legal rights...a lease (verbal contract, anything) gives you legal rights.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 7:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Its your home, just because he owns it does not mean he can tell you who can and can't come to your house.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 6:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Unless he put in your lease agreement that he can tell you who can and cannot come to your home, then no he has no legal right to prevent you from having whomever you want at your house. He may own the trailer, but you live there and you pay rent, it's your home. He can't tell you who can come there, unless it is in the lease that you signed.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I really don't know from a legal standpoint. I would assume if you are living with your landlord, then they could not stop by. If it is a separate property from where your landlord live, then he has no say who comes over. Period. JMO - like I said, I really don't know legally.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• You can have anyone come to your home that you like. The only way your landlord can do anything is if you were doing something illegal, like drugs or prostituting yourself or something. He can't tell you who you can and cannot invite to your house.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• IMO,he has no legal ground in telling you who can come visit,unless he has a no trespassing warrant against.Let him visit,and enjoy your time.They will get over it.Good luck and Merry Christmas
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I guess I am confused...why would your landlord tell you they cannot come...you PAY to live there and that is your "home" and you can invite, visit, talk and screw anyone you choose! I don't understand on what grounds he is telling you they cannot come? Just because you mom does not have a good relationship with her father has nothing to do with her boyfriend and your paying his rent to live in a property he owns...I thing you are well withing your legal rights to let them come.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 6:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I would say since it is his trailer and you have no legal binding lease, you may want to throw caution to the wind. Is he the type of man that would throw you out of your home if you don't do as he says? Legally he can do whatever he wants, it is his trailer, you have no lease stating your rights and he is the one that determines what happens in his trailer. If you had a lease that would be a different story that would at least give you some legal rights with respect to using the property. So, to answer your questions - no, I wouldn't go against him especially if he is the type of person that would throw you out of his trailer. You wouldn't be violating anything legal because you do not have a written lease. Is there a verbal contract? Without a lease he pretty much runs the show.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• He does not live here, we do. He lives 35 mins away. His basis for all of this is because my mother and her father do not get along, and since it "upsets" my mother that they don't have contact, he doesn't want them here. We are supposed to treat this as a purely business transaction as my mom puts it, but he's bringing her feelings into this. As a landlord-tenant relationship (which is what I'm going from) I don't think he can but I wanted to know everyone elses thoughts. Thank you.
    Anonymous

• THis is the OP as well as the above post at 6:54 pm. We have a verbal contract that we will lease for $x.xx every month and it's owed by the fourth and late on the 15th. We pay rent on that schedule, just like it's a verbal agreement that we won't have pets either. Does that count?
    Anonymous