Non-verbal student and Parents concerns?

Can you imagine having a child who is autistic and not being able to communicate his needs. How do parents learn to trust and stop feeling guilty for sending their non-verbal child to school?
What would you expect the school to do for you and your child to gain your trust and make parents "happy"?
Parents of students with no communication system tend to have more concerns than parents with children who can talk. Why won't parents trust the school? (Emphasis in the word TRUST!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• When my non verbal child was in kindergarten I found out he was being strapped down to a chair for the better part of the school day - that's WHY parent don't trust the school. Now that he is somewhat verbal my anxiety level has gone down tremendously.
    For me, I needed a high level of communication with the school, which took a lot of time on the teachers part, time that they rarely have.

Answer by missanc at 8:28 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Why should parents trust the school without question? I worked with a 8 y/o who was non-verbal. I'd gone into the classroom to train the teacher and assistances in managing his self-injurious/aggressive behavior and watched a teacher's aid snatch him up by his arms to bring him face to face with her 5'10" frame only to scream at him and threaten him, she then shook him before I took him away. The school only transfered her to a new classroom on the back of my complaint. Parents with non-verbal children need to be VERY involved with their child's school, make suprise visits often, watch for behavioral changes that may indicate stress, insist on having a one on one for your child, and therapy to learn an alternative means of communication, whether it be sign language, computer based speech, or picture selection. Never blindly trust anyone with your child.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Thank you so much for the information.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2011