Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reasoning with the bio dad.

So I have a court order that my sons bio dad gets him every other Tuesday 9am-5pm but those times nobody would be there to pick up my son when bio dad drops him off because everyone is at work until after 5. Today I have to drop him off, should I try to compromise rather than file in court? I am sick of going to court. What should I do if he won't compromise. Nobody can take time off of work, we will lose our jobs.

Answer Question

Asked by twistedtmama at 7:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 3 (15 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • You have to abide the order or lose custody. Its that simple. It happened to me. File a motion with the court asking for a different time. Send him a certified letter and keep a copy stating why you need this change, it gives you formal documentation when you do go back to court. Judges really can care less. I was working 12 hour shifts on weekends in another state without mine paying cs and the judge yelled at me bc biodad wouldn work with me on drop off and pick ups. In the meantime find someone else you trust to help you out who doesnt work or can be there.

    Answer by gemgem at 7:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • I don't have anyone that can be there. I asked him if he could keep him until I got out of work he said no, because he has to be in work for when I get out. none of his family work, and they refuse to help out.

    Comment by twistedtmama (original poster) at 8:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • Ask him to compromise. If he won't then this is what court is for. But remember we all have to make sacrifices for our kids. Even if you have to take a different job or tell your boss you have no choice but to leave and get your kid.

    Answer by treynlisa at 8:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • I cannot lose my job. I will lose my apartment and then my children and I will be on the streets.

    Comment by twistedtmama (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • Try talking to your boss, show him the court order. The court order is considered law. If they dont let you go they are making you break the law put it to them in that way. Otherwise someone is going to lose a job. If you dont show then you are in contempt/.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • Can he drop your son off to you at work? If not, hire a sitter for an hour or so. Teenage neighbor, etc.

    Answer by Kimedbs at 8:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • If it is court ordered you better do what you have to do to comply. Otherwise you will be in jail for contempt, lose your job and your apartment anyway. You don't play with a court order.

    Answer by treynlisa at 8:23 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • She wont go to jail but she can get a slap on the wrist, second offense is a financial fine, 3rd is jail.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

  • No I cannot afford a sitter. I get out of work at 6 home by 6:30pm. He refuses to keep him extra until I get out of work, I think its crappy that his sister is a stay at home mom lives 10 minutes from my house, but cannot watch her nephew? his family does nothing, doesn't offer to watch our son. When I went to court this morning for this matter the lady at the desk said come to an agreement until the new court order is mailed out.

    Comment by twistedtmama (original poster) at 8:29 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.