What games and activities do you play with your LO?

Hi I'm a mom of 2 (10y/o & 11 mo) I'm a lil rusty as far as the proper protocol for teaching and activities. Just don't wanna leave anything out. Me & my LO read a book in the AM & a book before bed time sometimes 2 books. We watch Sesame st at noon, It's a Big Big World at 1030 & Miss Spiders Sunny patch kids at 0900. That's basically all the TV she really gets unless she watches Blues CLues at 1500. We play roll the ball, stack n knock blocks, stack,snap & roll cups, we sing a song & have our snacks & lunch together.... She has a lot of toys that keep her entertained but I just wanna make sure I'm not leaving out anything. I want her to be as smart as my 10y/o who is an A student..... any suggestions? What do you do with your kids?

SemperFiesty29

Asked by SemperFiesty29 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk. The best way to teach your little one's right now is through verbal interaction.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Not trying to sound rude...and Im not sure that this is true but just in case. I just read about a study that says if you let your kids watch TV(kids two and under) it makes their brain develope wrong. Not sure if that is true though.
    Other than that, my daughter and I read touch and feel books and I point to the picture and ask her what it is. And patty cake and itsy bitsy spider are some good interactive games
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 7:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I think I'd cut back on the tv to start. We can certainly make tv work for us by watching it with our children, talking to them about what they're seeing and so on but really when they're watching, nothing is going on as far as learning. Of course we also use tv to keep little ones occupied while we get things done and that's ok too but in moderation.

The rest of what you're doing sounds wonderful. Reading and playing with our children, interacting with them, talking to them....all of those things help to create a well balanced, well rounded individual.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• RE: My 10 y/o watched way more TV b/c I was a teenage mom who was clueless as to what to do and not to do & now she is a straight A student & in Advanced classes & tutoring other kids... so I don't agree with the poor development of brains... I only let her watch 3-4 shows a day & that is b/c she actually "watches" them contently. We do play the pat-a-cake & Itsy bitsy spider a million n 2 times a day.... it's her fav! Of course we listen to a Nursery Rhyme & Lullaby CD during lunch & before Nap... music is said to be a big help in brain development. I have Early Childhood education credentials so I don't need any negative critisism as far as my kids brain developing "wrong" b/c of TV... to "TWINCLUBMOM&COLLEEN" THANKS... Mikayla Lynn.... Thx to you too but yep, your resources served you incorrectly..... I appreciate you all sharing your info as far as what you do with your LO's.... Happy Holidays.
    SemperFiesty29

Answer by SemperFiesty29 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• The I Spy game is fun. Say I spy something blue and they guess and you tell them yes or know. The older child can also do the spying. Another fun game is to hide a kitchen timer- one that ticks- and let them hunt for it. You can say getting warmer or colder if you like. Those books that hunt for Waldo or other hunting books are good.

Answer by Bmat at 8:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Reading. At this age, with my son, I read to him a TON and asked him a lot of questions about what was going on in the books. He's 2 now and really smart for his age.
    Liz_24

Answer by Liz_24 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Q and I play "hide and seek". games that make him think, like how do I get this out of that cup or into that cup. it also helps to constantly talk about what you are doing.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 7:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Thanks MythicMMM. We play a find it game...like I hide a ball under a box or cup & she looks for it....also peek-a-boo! She loves peek-a-boo....she even hides her face under covers... I'll try the cups too though.
    SemperFiesty29

Answer by SemperFiesty29 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2008