They are so irresponsible

My dd and her husband are young. They bought a car at tax time for my dd to drive (straight drive she cant drive a straight drive). She drove it twice, gave up and bought another car. So this cars been sitting collecting dust. Its a good car mind you. I would have bought it but they wanted more than I could pay.
My son in law has a crappy car by comparison. Its always breaking down. Its a street racing type of car without air conditioning etc. He drives my grandkids in. Well I told him to sell it and use the one he bought my dd. I thought he would. No. Now they are selling the good car they paid $1400 for.
I have the car here because they are young and let people walk all over them. Some guy just called saying theyd sell it for $800. I told him no I dont think so. I am handling the sale not them. He apparently talking to sil and he told them that much. My dd says she did not. Iswear i dont know what is wrong with them. He wants money for his POS car so it isnt like an emergency to sell.
I have a doctor appt today and decided since this guy thinks hes coming over at 1pm I wont be home. They can come handle it if they want to be dumb. KBB has this car in fair condition at $1400. Its in good condition so taking any less is dumb.

Asked by gemgem at 8:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Many young kids make dumb decisions. All we can do is try to help them as much as we can. One day they will appreciate what we've done and actually thank us for it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Did you talk to your DD about it? First of all at tax time the prices of cars went sky high so she may have paid more than what it could be sold for the remainder of the year. Just because blue book is a certain price doesn't mean that it can actually be sold for that. Also, the guy might be scamming you thinking you won't talk to them. There's also a possibility that they are trying to help the guy out, maybe he has kids and that's all of a car he can afford and they are doing something nice. Otherwise, maybe it will be a lesson that in hindsight they look and see that they could have had more money. In any case, I too, being the parent of adult children, your job is to advise, if they don't take the advice, you have to let them do what they want on their own. It's their deal and you really don't have any business deciding how much they sell their car for.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• We tried and she wont. They want the money to fix up the POS car.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 8:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You told him to sell his street rod. Are you crazy! Your DD couldn't TELL him to sell it if he didn't want to. What makes you think he is going to take his marching orders from his Mother-In-Law? Have you never spent time with the male of the species?

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• The guys from a dealership and my dd bought the car from a friend so she hardly paid car lot retail. She is just being dumb.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jun. 28, 2011