This is a adoption question

if u have depression can u still adopt .but u have been to a mental ward twice does any of this effect the chance for a adoption

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Adoption

• Are you actively dealing with your illness? Are you stable? If not the question is really, why would you try to adopt? If you are in a doctors care and doing well and your SO is stable, I am sure you can adopt.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 9:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I am sorry you ( OR WHOMEVER YOU SPEAK OF)are having health issues, I hope/pray for healthier days ahead :) While 'depression' is quite common for everyone, as a Firstmom, (IF I WERE GIVEN THIS INFO), I certainly would not conider you/them as a parent for my child. As parents we want the very best for our children, and if mental issues were/are a factor, absolutely would not place my child in that enviroment. Sorry it is not meant in disrespect it is just MY opinion. Many Blessings, and good health,CJ
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• If you're stable and your doctors clear you on your physical, then you should be fine. It may depend on the avenue that you decide to adopt through - I doubt international adoption would be an option - not sure about domestic infant adoption - foster adoption would likely seek documentation to show you are currently healthy and stable.

Good luck :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Different adoptions have different rules. Generally it's determined by the adoption agency. If you were to adopt privately, you wouldn't have to worry about this. You might have to pass a physical with a private adoption, but I don't know if the doctor doing it would be looking closely at your mental health.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Your mental status is definitely relevant to whether you can adopt or not, no matter how you adopt. Even if you adopt privately, you mental status matters. As a birth mom, if I had a choice, I would certainly not choose an adoptive mom who had issues like yours.

I hope you will not be tempted to hide your condition. You owe any mom who might consider letting you adopt her child the truth.

There is a difference between being depressed once in a while and being so seriously ill you needed to be in a mental ward. I don't know why anyone would think it is okay for someone to adopt with unresolved mental issues.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 9:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Just to clarify, in the event that my reply appeared to some that I meant it's ok to adopt while in a depressive state - in no way did I mean to indicate that. But, I view many behavioral health issues in the same light as I do other physical ailments. Just because you've been hospitalized in the past does not indicate to me that you're unhealthy or unfit NOW. I've been hospitalized before with cancer but I don't still have it - and that is considered in my adoption physicals each time (just finished the 3rd medical review for our impending finalization and we're also foster parents - so these physicals are an ongoing issue for me). I feel just because someone has been hospitalized for depression should keep them from adopting if they're healthy now and under the care of a doctor. I would NEVER recommend hiding the condition - but this is typically covered on adoption and foster physicals.

AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Unfortunately, yes it has a great affect on the option to adopt. To start the adoption process, in all routes of adoption you will have to have a physical & your Doctor will have to fill out a form on your health. We have been on the domestic side & foster care side of adoption, & both requires mental health backgrounds. What ever you do, do NOT lie about it, be honest, in the end if you lie there will be serious conciquences.

If you are stable & under medical care, & doing well, & if it has been a few year since you were in a mental institution, then you might be able to be approved thru an agency, but for your sake & a childs sake, I hope & pray you are stable for quite some time before you consider adopting. Adoption comes with a lot of stress & heavy baggage, no matter what route you choose. What happens when your first attempt falls thru? We had 2 fail, even in foster care they are returned back to family.
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• They take a look at why you had depression in the first place and how it was handled and did you learn anything from it or how to help the next time. An example might be that a family member had been in a car crash killing them as well as their kids. For many people this is extremely hard to accept and they need help to coop with it. If it's your boyfriend of 6 months and he left you it could be a different story. They look at each person on a case by case basis.

They want to see that you are ok now and don't forsee it happening again.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011