What is the best way to handle a defiant child's behavior, when time out and loss of privilages aren't working?

My six year old son has been very disrespectful and defiant to my husband and I, and it is starting to become a major strain on our relationship because we have differing opinion on handling it. I need suggestions that have been helpful for others!

Qtimomma

Asked by Qtimomma at 8:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you and DH are mutually consistent with a discipline style, then nothing i going to work.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:07 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Try reading Dare to Discipline or The Strong Willed Child. These have some good ideas. Read them together and then pull some points that you both agree on and try them.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I am going through the exact same thing right now with my 4 year old son. He listens to nothing I say and I am a stay at home mom so I am dealing with it ALL the time. He was recently diagnosed with PDD and a form of child anxiety so whenever he doesnt get his way it turns into an all day battle. I find myself giving into his "wants" instead of what he needs just so I don't have to listen to him scream for the next few hours. (Example: he consistently wants chips for breakfast instead of something he should be eating) I sometimes just give him the chips or he screams for the next 2 hours.....it's very hard....I know how you feel.

stephensmom26

Answer by stephensmom26 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You both have to be on the same page to start with . Consistent and firm boundaries and rules and the SAME consequences and follow through every time. Kids look for "holes" in the system of the way things work and when they find a way to work the system or get a parent to give in, even just a tiny bit, everything falls apart. Find the "currency" that works best as far as getting results and use that to help you with consequences and rewards.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Be firm set guidelines I used to disipline bad then I gave a goal to work for and a set day to remain good for it worked
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2011