Do you feel that too much time is spent by Christians, on unnecessary subjects?

I was reading an article this morning in a magazine and came upon this snippet

"Personally, I have no time for those building a new form of fortress Christianity, attaching a right-wing political ideology to new expressions of biblicism, and highlighting hot-button issues like homosexuality. Ironically, the essential failure of these folks is that they ignore Jesus of Nazareth. Likewise, I am disillusioned by seminaries whose fascination with textual criticism and academic prowess replaces the simplistic faith of their students too often with cynicism, or even no faith, rather than a mature attachment to the person of Christ."

And I thought to myself, he's got a point.  I see far too much emphasis being placed on abortion and homosexuality, neither of which are covered in Jesus's words or lessons to us. And far too little emphasis on His message of cohesiveness

The article goes on to point to the new movement placing Jesus back as the radical that he is. 

The rest of the article is here, at Sojourners

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 8:50 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I believe that is the political face of Christianity-important to the minority, yet makes its appear to be the majority. Its kind of like the teachers union-the political face is all about tenure where very few are worried about tenure-more are worried about funding. I believe that the politicizing of Christianity is not a good thing. Charity use to be the public face of Christianity which is more in line with Jesus than this constant political involvement. I don't deny that those issues are not important to Christians, but we are not united in the stance. We could be more united over charity work- and honestly I think its more important-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think too many christians have forgotten his message of love and hope and forgiveness; in exchange for their self righteous opinions being spouted to feed their own egos.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think to much time is spent arguing over things and to little time is invested in showing love and building relationships.
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 8:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• " the gang-up because of two, only two, anon-questions??"

It wasn't just two questions last night. It was questions (one in particular, but others as well) from the previous night too, and stupid anon questions (seemingly from the same anon) for the past several days. This whole holier-than-thou Christian post crap is annoying. People with genuine questions and curiosity I can understand, but those simplistic questions intended only to provoke are asinine.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I agree with the first comment.

Answer by older at 10:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Interesting post, adnilm. I agree that the focus on politicizing religion and focusing on specific issues is wrong, especially when those people forget that this nation was not founded on a single religion, but on secular ideals. However, I'm torn in feeling that I can respond to this further than that because I have strong feelings against religion being a public issue at all. If people want to hold on to their beliefs and traditions, I feel that they should be kept private--that they do not belong in the public sector. Charity is an exception. Charity is to give to those who need it, and should be done without strings attached. By the same token, it should not be hampered but encouraged by all for all who are in need.  While I do not see the need for religion, I do appreciate those who believe and lead by example rather than by proselytizing and trying to impose their beliefs into our laws.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:32 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• To answer the question: yes, I do think too much time is spent by Christians on stupid issues, and not enough time is spend truly studying the Bible with the Holy Spirit guiding them. Then again, most of those people probably really aren't Christians anyway....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• adnlim- interesting article BTW- I was talking with an LDS co-worker just the other day and she is struggling with giving money to the church in light of their politics on gay marriage- she personally opposes gay marriage but it concerned that so much time and money is being spent on the issue by the church- it was interesting to talk to someone that agrees with the church stance yet opposes the money and effort spent on it-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Yes I do. The Bible calls it "vain janglings" I believe. Haha...I think that sounds funny. I'm interested in the article, but don't have time to get to it right now. Hopefully I'll get to do that tonight.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 2:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• yes
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2011