I adopted a family for Christmas, what do you suggest?

Hello Cafemoms!

I need your help. I have adopted a single mom and her son for Christmas. I already have the gifts for the little boy, but am not sure what to get for the mother. I don't want to get gifts that is useless. I was thinking of getting her a gift certificate for the grocery store. What do you suggest?

Thanks ladies!

Sandra

Sandra124

Asked by Sandra124 at 7:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Holidays

• If you do a gift certificate for the grocery store, make sure she has one near her. I know here in Cali we have a few stores that are only here. Maybe a gift card for something nice from a department store. I personally would send her something so she can do something nice for her. Maybe go somewhere or do something she isn't able to normally. Maybe even a gift card to like Applebee's for something so she can just have a good meal without having to worry about it. Good Luck!!
    jaxmommy20

Answer by jaxmommy20 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• the gift certificate is a great idea..... get it for like walmart of target so that if she need something else really badly she can get it... but that is a great idea and it was so nice of u to do that for them for christmas...
    Anonymous

• I like the suggestion for Walmarts.... they offer such a variety of services.
    God Bless You!
    Diane923

Answer by Diane923 at 7:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• yaa i was gonna say that too..(walmart) grocery store is a great idea..but at least with walmart she can pick somethin up for herself..or if you know the area shes in you could get her like a spa thing or something, let her get pampered for a day..or a nice resturant gift card..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Why not get her something useless? Im not trying to be mean spirited. But why do people think that those who are "poor" dont have "wants". There life revolves around "needs". Why wouldnt they want the same things you do? Think about what you would like for christmas, things that are just for you. Why not suprise momma and give her totally self absorbed gifts. Things just for her that she probably wouldnt get herself.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Get her a gift card to somewhere practical like the grocery store or Walmart, but also get her something "fun" like a gift card to Bath and Body Works or something like that.
    Anonymous

• can anyone adopt me?!?!!?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I would get her something that she can't get herself. Nothing practical, either..something special. A spa day. Luxury bath item. Something like that would make her feel special for a day, especially if it is something she'd not be able to do for herself for whatever reason. I'd also tuck in the gift card, because practical things are helpful...but I would definitely want to give her something to make her feel pampered, even if it's just for a couple of hours.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• CAN SOMEONE ADOPT MY GRANDKIDS FOR CHRISTMAS, I HAVE NO FUNDS TO GET THEM ANYTHING, I CAN NOT AFORD A TREE MY SECOND CHRISTMAS IN GARNER,N.C. I HAVE NOT YET BEEN HERE FOR 2YEARS, I HAD AREAL ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP WITH MY HUSBAND AND WE SPLIT UP, I AM ON SSI NOT MUCH. I HAVE 4 OF THEM. CAN SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASE.
    twinswilliams

Answer by twinswilliams at 9:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Thank you Ladies! Great suggestions! I am going to get her a gift card to Walmart, and something special and pampering just for her!

All your suggestions where really helpful!

Sandra
    Sandra124

Answer by Sandra124 at 10:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2008