Does your child eat sweets like they're going out of style?

My SS will take forever to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, but when it comes to sweets he'll literally shove a whole piece of cake in his mouth at once or choke down candy like he hasn't had any in years (he gets sweets quite often actually.) Any good way to deal with this? I'm afraid one day he is going to choke or something, and it's actually kind of appalling that he eats candy like he's half starved or something.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My almost 3 year old daughter eats junk like its her last time.. shoves it in like one big bite... and cheese too lol
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 7:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I dont plan on letting my kids eat sweets until they are old enough to control their eating habits and understand that they are OK in moderation. When I was little my parents never monitored what I ate, and I would eat junk food and drink pop over eating healthy food any day, it was disgusting how I ate but I didnt notice how gross it was till I got older... I got really heavy in elementary school, I didnt care about my weight or anything at that age... but I have never been able to be that "skinny girl" b/c of it, I still have eating problems, and its very hard to control as you get older.

If it was me I would only give him like 1 peice of candy at a time, dont give him the chance to stuff himself maybe he will learn sweets are something you only get once in a while and hopefully he will realize he needs to eat them slowly to enjoy the sweet flavor longer...maybe that will help??!!

Good Luck to you!!
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above answer. I would just give him a little at a time. I let my kids have sweets once in a while. My five year old would eat nothing but sweets if I let him. He is thin, and doesn't eat too much at a time, but he would forgo a meal for sweets.
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I try to not let my kids have sweets in abundance, but they do have them probably daily - soemthing sweet.
    No, I don't let them cram things in their mouths. That's bad manners.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 9:01 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I say stop giving it to him. If he can't eat it like a gentleman, then he doesn't need it.
    Kawanis

Answer by Kawanis at 1:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Why do you have him eat that many sweets? Sugar depresses the immune system. Have fun this flu season
    Anonymous

• He gets a lot of sweets because Daddy and Grandma give in all the time. I'm the "bad guy" if I don't let him have them.
    Anonymous