Anyone deal with sensory disorders or with their children?

My 6 yo son is being seen for ADD/ADHD, and I've done as much research as I can on it, finding many kids get misdiagnosed and the underlying issue is actually a sensory disorder. I'm in no way a doctor, but I'm starting to feel its a form of this sensory disorder. Does anyone have first hand experience with this and how is it treated or kept under control? I feel so bad for my baby, its just gotten to the point where his acting out aren't just being a brat, its definitely something else.

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 8:57 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Follow your instinct and seek a specialist.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:34 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Thank you for the reply. We are seeing a specialist, I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with this and how do they work with it? :)
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I have a four year old dx with SPD and he is in therapy. I am also a therapist and dx many disorders, including ADHD. I had an initial evaluation by an OT and did an in depth sesory profile. A good book to read is Out of Sync Child. O do not have many kids who I see who live with SPD or that I suspect do...but I have had several whom I have had tge doctor request a developmental evaluation for SPD/autism. For those kids it was confirmed they had sensory issues. It is also possible to live with SPD and live with ADHD. The key is to have a developmental pediatric psychologist do a comprehensive (very expensive, most insurances will not cover) evaluation. Even after a dx of SPD the list of specialists grows. I had a teacher who said thankfully we went the cheaper route. Pah! She meant she thought medication is cheaper. No. We spend thousands out of
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• pocket to meet his needs. The vast majority of private insurance companies do not cover SPD and related issues. The medical director where I work commented that patients are lucky I recognize SPD/autism and the fact it can also occur with other childhood disorders.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Yes that's what I've read, that this coincides with other disorders. I have that book on its way to my house, that is what I found to be the most and highest recommended. Thank you!
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Noproblem. After my child went to OT...so much better. I use the same sensory breaks used in OT I suggest to parents at home who have children dx with ADHD. While not sensory disorders - the exercises help all persons to be more focused and calm when over loaded. I get good feed back from parents.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• A lot of kids with sensory disorders have stimulus overload, which is also a big contributor to ADD/ADHD.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree on following your instincts to get to the bottom of things.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Get to an occupational therapist as soon as possible! They can tell you whether there is an sensory processing issue and advise you on how to handle it. They can also work with your child on how to desensitize him to sensory input and self-regulate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2011