When do you feed babies?

My 4 month old wants to eat (milk) all the time.. she's up to drinkin about 4 1/2 oz bottles every about 3 hours and twice a day i give her 5 oz cereal bottles but she still seems to get hungry pretty fast.. My dr told me not to feed her anything until she is 6 months old.. but i cant afford all of the extra milk shes wantin.. Wic doesnt help us bc they dont offer her brand of milk in ready to use so when was the earliest you start feeding a little?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If they don't offer it in ready to use, you might need to actually mix it yourself. There's a reason why your doc said not to feed her baby food until she's 6 months old, you need to follow those instructions.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• they only offer powder and powder makes her really sick so we have to buy ready to use..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Maybe eat beans and rice for a few days so you can afford to feed your child?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Honestly I wouldn't put cereal in bottles. And one of many reasons for the dr telling you not to give food is that there little bodies are not mature enough to digest these things properly, it can hurt them. I know many peole do it, but doctors are doctors for a reason, they are up to date on the most recent research. Also like PP states you may just have to get powder and mix yourself. Is there a reason why you must have ready to use?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:10 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• How do you know its the powder? Could it be the water youre mixing it with? Please call your pedi and speak to them.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Powder isn't going to make a difference unless you aren't mixing it correctly. If she can't tolerate powdered formula what on earth makes you think she could tolerate food? Don't feed your baby solids. If you insist on feeding her the ready made then cut back on expenses for yourself and buy all the milk your baby needs! Your baby is going to need increasing amounts of formula until she's a year old, if you can't afford it now, what are you going to do 4 months from now when she's eating 6-8 oz bottles every 3 hours. Solid foods don't change the amount of formula your baby needs until she' about 10 months when she'll finally begin to take in enough food to make a diference.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You really shouldn't put cereal in bottles, but if you are then you are already feeding her solids. Cereal is a solid. You can put it in a bowl and spoon feed it to her. 4 1/2 ounces every 3 hours is normal.

Answer by missanc at 9:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Poor baby.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 9:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Ok.. look i didnt ask for all the negativity i asked a question.. her dr said i could put a little cereal in her bottles now that she's four months.. its not a SOLID its half a damn spoon of cereal it just thickens the milk a little.. and we only have one source of income right now so we're doin all we can.. her milk is 60 dollars a week.. i was just askin if anyone else feeds their children yet.. and some of you are just bein rude stupid bitches i.e. Y.B.normal.. thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Cereal IS solid food, and I, personally would not use it and would not recommend it in a bottle, ever. However, it IS up to you. Typically, WIC has to provide the formula that your child needs, IF the doctor fills out the appropriate paperwork. I'm not sure if it is like this in every state, and I'm not sure if it includes the RTF, have you looked into it? It would need to be ordered by the doctor. At her age, I would stick to only formula (or breast milk if you were nursing). If that means cutting corners on other things, that's what I'd do. Some people might be interested in relactating if the baby has a problem with some formulas, or there are financial issues with buying formula, and if that is something you might be interested in, let me know and I will point you in the right direction. In another two months is when *I* would recommend starting solids, and you DON'T have to use baby food if you don't want to.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2011