Is it ok for a 6mos old to have water?

If so can it be filtered tap water or does it have to be the baby water that I've seen in the stores?

LKY678

Asked by LKY678 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They really don't need water. If they are bf, they'll get their hydration and nutrients from milk. Too much water can lead to 'water intoxication' which causes some problems.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 7:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Water is not necessary for an infant. That takes you all the way up to the first birthday. breastmilk or formula are the only necessary liquids.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• breastmilk and/or formula plus baby tea is the only thing they need.... all of those have water in it.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• up to about 3 oz a day if really needed, i give my 6 month old about 2 oz in a sippy cup for him to play with after about 45 minutes he gets about an oz or a little more down......Helps him learn to drink from a sippy cup too.........
    Anonymous

• No, it's not needed until after a year. My son only got water to play(an ounce in a cup once or twice a week) until he was a bit over a year.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• While its true that breastmilk and formula are really the only food needed, its really ok for you to give a 6 month old water. Just not too much, and not in a bottle by themselves. Baby should probably only drink it in sips, and not too much at a time. Water is hard for babies to swallow at that age because its so thin and different from milk.. so make sure you supervise. Too much water will upset baby's belly. I give my DD pedialyte instead of water.. and usually only like 2 oz at a time when she's sick and is coughing or fussy but not hungry.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• YOU SHOULD REALLY CHECK WITH THE DOCTOR BECAUSE TO MUCH WATER CAN BE DANGEROUS FOR A BABY.
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 9:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• The bottled baby water is an absolute waste of money. If you have a refrigerator that has filtered water that is fine. Even regular bottled water is okay. Check with your pediatrician first. Mine said it was okay to give my 5 month old 1-2 oz. a day, but he is a big baby.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2008