Rice Cooker Issues with Mushy Rice

I love my rice cooker, but my rice is never consistent and comes out mushy most of the time. I use the 2 to 1 water/rice ratio and I still end up with mushy rice. I once lessened the amount of water by 1/4 and the rice was hard and undercooked on the top and mushy at the bottom. There must be some technique that I'm missing!

ummu_moussa

Asked by ummu_moussa at 9:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Are you using long grain, medium grain or short grain rice? This makes a difference.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I use mostly long grain rice.
    ummu_moussa

Comment by ummu_moussa (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Oh and it also depends on the quality of your rice cooker. I had one years ago that was small and never cooked my rice correctly. The one I have now is really nice and my rice always comes out perfectly.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Are you cooking brown rice or white rice?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You could always just go back to making rice the old fashioned way. It really isn't much more effert and you don't have to take up all that storage space with a big ol' rice cooker! Just use your same 2-1 ratio, stick it all in a pot, bring to boil, then stir and cover and turn on low for 20 mins. After that, take it off the heat (still covered) and let it sit for about 10 mins. Done.
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 9:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You're using too much water. The 2:1 ratio is only accurate with a certain size and shape of pot relative to a certain amount of rice, cooked on a stove. Try 1.5:1 and then adjust the water up or down to make the rice the way you like it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I just cook mine on the stove and keep an eye on it to ensure all the water is absorbed.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2011