HELP HEAD LICE EMERGENCY updated

I have a head lice outbreak in my home and need to know of any home remedies that you may have tried that are proven to work...I've tried all the over the counter medications to no avail...please help I need to nip this in the butt asap...I've searched the web and there are sooo many home remedies out there just need to know of something that actually WORKS!

tea tree oil
coconut cream treatment
olive oil or mayo cream treatment
olive oil or vegetable oil
detangler spray
plastic lice comb
shower caps
spray bottle
vinegar

put 15-20 drops of tea tree oil in all shampoo,conditioner, and detangler
bottles.
Put 15-20 drops of tea tree oil in spray bottle fill with water.

Put a few drops of tea tree in olive oil cream and put in hair starting at the
roots pour veggie oil until hair is saturated cover with shower cap for about
an hour.

Remove shower cap, with kid in tub rinse with a little bit of vinegar and leave
til tingly or about 5 minutes...wash with shampoo and conditioner with tea tree
while conditioner is in comb with lice comb small sections washing comb between strokes
blow dry dry and flat iron hair it will still be kinda greasy. spray with detangler and comb again
leave in over night (can put shower cap on to keep it off bedding)

next morning put coconut oil on roots and comb thru leave in for the day, wash as usual at bath time

Spray everything that can not go in the washer or dryer with the tea tree oil water mixture kinda soaked
add a capful or so of tea tree oil to your wash load too

and for prevention make everyone always use the detangler and shampoo with tea tree and always either blow dry or flat iron or both daily
Not sure what part of this worked put it's absolutely gone

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Health

• Are you also cleaning your car and car seats? I know someone who kept forgetting to do that and could not get rid of them. Good luck.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• EVERYTHING! I fought with this problem yars ago with my eldest dd every couple days she we come home from school with it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• put tea tree oil in your shampoo & conditioner bottles. It won't kill them, but it will keep them from coming back. They cannot live, breed or eat with tee tree oil around. They will not even infest your hair...ever....if you always shampoo with tea tree.

Call your Dr. The can give yo a prescription for lice that is different than what you get at the stores. Do you comb all the nits out? Disinfect your house, use the spray, wash & dry all blankets & stuffed animals? Because you only need a few stray lice to reinfect.

But, the tea tree oil works wonders. We've always put it in our shampoo growing up, i did it with my Dd after she got lice for the first time & they never came back. I used RID, then shampooed with the tea tree oil in there & they never returned.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Wow, I know actually how you feel. I have 6 people in my household and I had this same battle last year.....3 times. Even my toddler had caught it. I kinda feel like I am an expert. LOL  To be completely honest nothing worked for us no home remedies or over the counter. My wonderful Pediatrician called in a perscription formula and it done the trick. The only concern is you have to be extremely careful when using it and the smell is horrible. Ask your Doctor if there is anything he can do to help.

stephensmom26

Answer by stephensmom26 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Tea tree oil is awesome.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I dealt with this a couple months ago with dd and I. Make sure you wash everything and seal stuffed animals and pillows in an airtight bag for 2 days. I would definitely suggest the tea tree oil once you've combed out all the nits. It works wonders in keeping them away!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 10:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• my SIL uses mayo on her kids and recently started to use tea tree oil in her shampoo. also, try lavender plants or oils in your home, bugs can't stand them oddly enough the smell "bugs" them and they leave
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2011