How do I stop doing this??

I have a LOT of hair. Very thick and very full. Since probably middle school, I always pull pieces out. I mostly like to pull out the very thick ones or kinky ones and run my nails down it to make it curl like you would ribbon. I love pulling out the ones that I get the hair follicle too. I am so embarrassed of this and I have had family tell me to stop. I do it most when I'm bored or nervous and I have a lot of fly aways because of it. What do I do to stop? Does anyone have a bad habit like this and what do you do to deal with it? Please don't make fun of this and no I can't just cold turkey stop...because I won't....i'm too addicted to doing it.

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Health

• I've read that this is a common OCD thing. Is that a possible issue? Not all people with OCD are neat freaks.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I agree with SWasson. Could be an OCD thing.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I was addicted to trimming my nails and dealing with whatever problems came up,but,now I have to go to a foot doctor because my nail grew back wrong and my big toe is swollen like a balloon! Unless u want to go bald stop it! Exercise! make that your new addiction!!! I do it 5 days a week for stress and because I need the extra energy for my long days!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:45 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• do u wear ur hair down all the time?? try putting it up in a pony tail for a while or a braid. something that may keep ur hair outta ur face so that way it's not always on ur mind. when u get the urge to pull ur hair, braid it instead..just direct it another way....i have a bad habit of messing with bumps on my face and i know it's gonna end up messing with my skin. i can't stand bumps n i pick sometimes...i know it sounds gross...but i clean my face often n still can't get rid of them..

goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Even if its up in a pony tail or a bun I still pick at the stray hairs. Its like I need to keep my hands busy doing something else...I just don't know what.
    CassiRae3

Comment by CassiRae3 (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• hmmm?? try doing a puzzle or something...can u draw or sew? i know it can be hard...gosh i can think of different ways but dunno if they would help ya or not...
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• This sounds less like a bad habit and more like an uncontrollable "ritual". Sounds like OCD to me. I have OCD too and a lot of weird quirks like that (one of my things is bending my nails backward). I'd go see a psychologist as see what he/she says. Even if they don't diagnose you with OCD or another anxiety disorder, they should at least be able to point you in the right direction of how to quit.
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 10:02 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Therapy is your friend, .......
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Yep. I have had the same thing, although it wasn't my head hair. It was my eyelashes and eyebrows. I will occasionally pick out a kinky hair off my head, but rarely. It IS an OCD thing and it is usually related to stress. It helped me to become aware of when I was doing it, then stop and get working on something else. For example, if I was working on a school paper I was stressed about, I would find myself mindlessly yanking hair while I was thinking about it. So if I figured out I was doing it, I would stop, and then do something that would actually help the paper...like get up and get a book out that I could use for research.

Good luck. It is habit and it is hard to break .
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• paint your nails and pick the polish instead or buy a worry stone to rub on.. those helped me with my issue
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2011