Is it true that CHILD SUPPORT and visitation are separate issues?

I have a child from my former marriage. His father was a very naughty man and was placed in jail and was given a 3 year probation with a strict restraining order. He has never met his son, nor does he want to. Also he does not pay child support. I am a flying solo mom who works very hard to support her family...I hear my son SHOULD have child support but I can not handle the DRAMA that might come with it. Any suggestions?

SFerber

Asked by SFerber at 7:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• In California, yes.
    tahoekate

Answer by tahoekate at 8:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• let the state of cali. fight the battle for you
    zcman

Answer by zcman at 8:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• yes they are separate issues...child support is paid whether or not the non-custodial parent receives visitation or not...unless they relinquish their rights
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 9:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• They are separate issues in that a parent with no visitation rights can be ordered to pay support. However, if you pursue support the issue of visitation will probably come up. It shouldn't be a problem if the guy doesn't ask for any & you can show that there is good reason for him not to have any. If you get any kind of assistance from the state like a medical card for your son or anything you can ask them to pursue support for you.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• yes!!!
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I had state enforced child support.. Once I got the child support order during the divorce and still never received a dime from him.. I contacted Child Support Enforcement. They handle everything.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Yes I live in California and found that while how much visitation there is with the child can affect the amount you will recieve the child support department does not grant or enforce child support
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• if u dont want child support,and u dont want o deal with the father, then what i think u should do is get him to sign his rights away as the father. u wouldnt be able to get child support from him, but u wouldnt ever have to worry about him being in the picture either. but child support and visitation ARE seperate issues, so u could still get money if u dont want him around if u need it.
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 2:55 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• People don't pay to see their children and therefore don't have to pay if they don't see their children. In fact, the less time he has with the child, the more his support would be, at least in most circumstances
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• It varies from state to state. In Oklahoma, Child Support and Visitation are separate issues even though one influences the other. I think that the two issues should be decided together as it would make things so much easier especially in situations where the parents never married.
    tawana12

Answer by tawana12 at 6:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2008