Do your kids have cell phones? How old are they? How young is too young to have a cell phone, in your opinion?

My 11 year old is getting her 1st cell phone this weekend... I'm allowing her to get one because she wants to "fit in" is that wrong of me? I know how I was made fun of because I did not "fit in" in school and I want to spare her of that. I break the bank to make sure she has the best of everything. She is by no means spoiled though... She knows there are limits and she cant really have everything. But I do my best to make you she has everything she needs and alot of the things she wants.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think that is a fine reason. The kids all text each other and your daughter would be left out. It's important at that age. My son was 10 when he got his.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My kids both have them, they are 16 and 12. Our 12 year old just got her first one for her birthday. I wanted her to be able to contact me at any time and she is the one paying for the air time (using allowance).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:57 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think it is fine as long as she stays responsible with it. My son got his first at 12.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My eldest son is/was 15 when he got his first cell phone and will be 16 in August...

Which now has our 5 year old screaming he wants a cellphone! My 5 year old is never in a situation he is away from us to need one to call us... for starters? And I'm just glad our 4 year old can care less

If the purpose of getting one is a good one, such as they are off at practice and need to call me to pick them up, or at friends' houses, etc. ... to fit in teaches the child that they need to measure up, basically buy friends to fit in, and feeds against self esteem in the long run of life... not judging just stating the downsides to it... upside is she'll be like her friends? Hope they are a good influence to be like
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My children are 5, 4 and 6mos. I am a full time WAHM so my children are with me at just about all times. But, my son started pre-K 3 weeks ago, we had planned to wait til he starts Kindergarten in Sept. to get him a phone, until he was left on a school bus 8 days in. So we got him one now. And my other children will get them when they start school as well. There are simply to many things that can happen, and children need a way to contact help if they need it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• my 18 yo sd has one... my 12 yo sd wants one; my df and I feel that's a little too young, but we are giving her the option to prove she's responsible enough. So far, obviously unsuccessful.
    mish1153

Answer by mish1153 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• confusedMy kids all have cell phones....ages are 13 year old twin sons and my 12 year old daughter and they have unlimited texting too

stephensmom26

Answer by stephensmom26 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My boys were 10. My oldest got his phone because one of his friends has diabetes and we just wanted to make sure they had a way to reach someone in an emergency, or if someone got hurt sledding or riding bikes...I just felt more comfortable knowing he could reach me or any other parent.
    My youngest also got one at 10 for the pretty much the same reasons.
    Our town is very small and the boys have the ability to spend time with friends at the park or various other areas to ride bikes around or go sledding...its a great way for us to stay in touch. I work an hour out of town, so they can reach me as well. We have unlimited texting. We've only ever had one or two issues of phones being broken (typically water damage - once it was my fault), otherwise they've always been responsible with them and followed the rules.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My son is 9 and has a cellphone. It isn't a need at all but he wanted one and asked for one for Christmas. Since he is a responsible kid we didn't see why not. Most things we give our kids are not needs toys, video games, bikes and other items are not needs they are total wants we buy them so our kids will be entertained.

Anonymous

• Well fitting in is not the only reason...
    She will be using it to talk to her dad so he doesnt go through me
    and to keep in contact with her when she isnt home
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2011