Family, need I say more!

I live in an apartment complex that my parents own with my parents & two sisters. We all share the same yard with our kids so I see every single member of my family every single day. Of course this leads to our good moments & bad moments.

Well my sister has a bahbysitter today which is a girl I went to high school with & she has a son a few months younger then my daughter. So we're talking about pre school etc & how my friend is sending her son to pre school she asks me if I am sending my daughter. I told her no, this is something that my SO & I have discussed & we opted that a long time ago we werent going to send our daughter to pre school for various reasons.

In the midst of this convo my brother in law comes walking by & starts rambling on about how if I dont send my daughter to pre school she will be a social retard. Really dude!? Seroiusly!? Are we having this convo!? Not only that are we saying this in front of the children playing outside right now!? Are you fucking kidding me!?

Well I am almost ready to snap at this comment. To comment on my parenting choices & skills like that is out of line. To yell something like that loudly in front of my child is out of line. I cant believe this summer vacation just started in fact this is day 2 & if this keeps up we are going to have major issues that is for fucking sure.

Sorry I just had to vent somewhere bc I cant yell at my brother in law, I dont want to make a scene, & I have nobody to talk to right now to vent to. My brother in law is a nice guy in general but my gosh he does say things once in a while that I simply dont approve of & saying that my daughter is going to be a social retard is out of line. BTW my child is more social then any of the other children living here (8 total) & they all attend school. Oh & lets not forget that at 3 1/2 yo she is much smarter then most her age. Her skills are above all the other children she is around & she is interested in learning things like the presidents (she knows the first few), geography (can point out various states & countries on the globe) & things like that.

Venting over, please feel free to weigh in with your opinion or to vent about your own family issues, thanks for reading if you got through this.

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• DD didn't go to PreK and has no problems what-so-ever making friends everywhere! Just roll your eyes and ignore his crappy comments! DD starts kindergarten this Aug and has been making friends like crazy no matter where we go.. mind you we live in the country which would put her at more of a social disadvantage. she learns what she sees, if she sees you making friends and talking to people and including her in your conversations you have more of a chance of having a social butterfly.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:10 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• i think i would talk to him when you've calm down and explain that what he said upset you and you would like him to not comment on the way you are raising YOUR child...most people dont even know they are offending someone......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Your BIL and mine should go bowling together. All I can say is you can't pick your family and that is why I have a lot of friends!!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Talk your bil.....or your sis whoever can get a grip on such inappropriate outbursts, otherwise you need to let it go and not let it get to you...
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:07 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Yeah I will bring it up to my mother in a bit when we have a moment alone, she is the glue in this family. There is certainly lots of things that are "let go" of in this familiy from all of us. Its what you have to do when you all live so closely to one another. I found this particular outburst too much though. Again just venting but it did strike a nerve.
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Yeah good point cara however, my sister & her husband are like this. They have their views & its like thats it they will state them (which is fine I state mine but try not to offend others mind you) but let it be if we dont see eye to eye. In the midst of him saying this I interjected saying my child is just fine socially & wil be just fine for him to only talk over me louder screaming she is goign to be a social retard over & over again. *sigh* I already tried to find my mother but she seems to have slipped away & I certainly dont blame her if we dont all slip away from the insanity sometimes then we'll all end up killing one another one of these days..... I wounder if moving was the right choice, we've only been here a few months before that we were three hours away, maybe moving back home wasnt the right idead *sigh*
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It isn't your mother's job to tell your Bil, it is you and your Dh's job to tell him that he is overstepping his boundaries and that you are not going to put up with it.
    Sithpadawans

Answer by Sithpadawans at 12:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2011