Do you work at home with the kids? Need some summertime tips...

I work a full time job while home with the kids...my daughter just finished Kindergarten and my son is 4. Its only been a few days, but having both of them all day every day is already making me insane. We have a kiddie pool, big pool (but they need me to go in that), swing set, trampoline, slip n slide, huge yard, etc...still, they sit in front of the tv for way too much time each day. I can't be summertime activities director because I have to earn my paycheck. I can take them out for short trips here and there during the day for maybe an hour or two max, but money is tight, they also both hate the heat, ugh... I just don't know how I'm going to make it all summer long. Any tips or advice?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 10:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have you checked with your local Parks and Rec department? Ours has some great low cost daycamps that could fill in some times - and they offer scholarships as well (although ours is out of money by this late into the summer)

Answer by missanc at 10:28 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Can you either get up a couple hours earlier than them, and pound out half your workday early, then spend more of the day with them, doing other things, and finish your work in the evening or after they go to bed? That's really my only suggestion, that way you can spend time in the pool with them, you'll all burn excess calories/energy in there, you can have more time, period, with them. And in the hottest heat of the day they can get some tv time in while you do some work (either work-work or housework).
    Anonymous