White Aristocrat leaves fortune to Black Manservant

RegisterLogin

Search
News
Articles
Interviews / Celebs
Style & Beauty
Videos
Photos
Editor's Blog
About
Subscribe

91

White Aristocrat Leaves Fortune to Black Manservant, Widow Aghast

Thursday Jun 23, 2011 – by Jamilah Lemieux

Lord Glennconner was a multimillionaire aristocrat who transformed the West Indian island of Mustique into a haven for other rich White folks. He was cared for by loyal manservant Kent Adonai, who waited on him hand and foot for thirty years. It was Adonai who slept at the foot of his employer’s bed and Adonai who tried to revive him after he suffered a fatal heart attack, driving him to the hospital to find that he was already gone.

And it was Adonai who was named the recipient of Lord Glenconner’s estate in his will.

Unsurprisingly, the widow is not pleased. The Daily Mail reports that Lady Anne Glenconner is asking Adonai to “do the right thing” and return part of his inheritance to the family. Lord Glenconner changed his will seven months before he passed away; previously, his heir and grandson Cody, 17, was to receive the bounty. Adonai recieved the beachside home in St Lucia, all of it’s contents and a valley-yes, a valley, overlooking the Carribean. A challenge to the will would be impossible under St Lucian law, but Lady Anne has appealed for the return of items she says belong to her and for Adonai to honor what she believes were his true wishes before becoming too sick to realize what he was doing. She told the Mail “We are hoping Kent will follow what we all knew were my husband’s wishes — namely that Cody would be left his estate in St Lucia.”

Well, that ain’t what the will says. Meanwhile, Adonai (who sported a fetching dead homie shirt bearing his boss’s pic) has cleared the beach home and is planning an estate sale at an auctioneer house. This man, who Lady Anne claims to be illiterate, btw, slept at the foot of his boss’ bed since he was 17 years old. He was not an assistant or a housekeeper, he was a manservant. He earned every penny of his new fortune and I hope that he does not return anything, short of Lady Anne’s personal effects. Take your hairbrushes and move it along, ma’am.

What are you thoughts? Do you think she have a chance of appealing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• His money he can do what he likes with it. Just because a couple is married doesn't always mean you will get your spouses assets. My fil is leaving 80 percent of his money to his sons and my son. His wife of 17 years gets 20 percent. She will get the home they live in and what is in their joint accounts. When my husband inherits the millions his dad will leave him that money is my husbands and I wouldn't expect it to come to me it would go to our son. Good for the manservant probably earned every dime of the money.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Is she left penniless? i don't think she should be turned out into the street. However that man certainly deserves what he was given. I say give her enough for a downpayment and let her find a job.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 11:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• She should have kept up with the Will and what that husband did should be illegal. He was legally married, it should be THEIR decision on what happens to THEIR money and assets. If I were her I would challenge the Will on whether he was mentally capable of making a decision like that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I am a bit conflicted on this. I feel that last wishes should be honored, but there is too much of this story that is missing. Like the condition of the deceased when he changed his will, the relationship he had with his family, etc. I feel that the race of the two parties is strictly for sensationalism and shouldn't even be a part of the story.

My grandfather's exwife's lover (female) took care of her until her death, only to have her dead lover's children kick her out of the house they shared for 15-20 years and leave her with nothing but her own possessions. I found that extremely sad that she gave her love and devotion to someone and her loyalty to this woman made no difference to her greedy kids (step aunt and uncle that I barely knew). Karma will come knocking on their doors one day, I have no doubt.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:33 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I also thought that bringing up their race was irrelevant to the story QuinnMae. i tried to find an article without that headline, but all of the headlines had their race in it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• It was his money and he can do what he wants with it but i do find it odd that his wife got nothing, but maybe they didnt get along or something i have no idea..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I tried to find this story on google. I only got blogs, twitter, and CM. Is it somewhere other than the bloggospher? Is it on the AP, Reuters, or any other news agency? I would like to read it in a less bias source than those on google before having an opinion.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Don't know if she has a chance or not. I have no clue as to the laws on this issue there.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Good for him!!! maybe they loved each other as father and son.
    I love stories like this.

The family should only get their clothing and get out!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Why should they get the money if they didn't do anything to earn it?

It was HIS money and HE can do whatever he want with it!!

I hate people who think they deserve money from hard working people from their family. I will not be giving people money to who never respected me or even took care of me on my last days. Hell NO!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2011