Is there any mamas on here that plant tomatoes in their garden? if so please help!

We planted tomatoes in our garden last year and this year. They get to the point of looking absolutly beautiful, but then just as they begin to flower the tomatoe plant begins to die. Anyone know why this could be happening? They get plenty of sunshine and are watered daily.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Home & Garden

• check how much sunshine they are supposed to be getting and if you have bugs in your soil
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:02 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Depending on the soil, it could be too much water. Or it could be a pest of some kind.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Yes I agree-could be too much water-the soil should be moist not really soaking wet and tomatoes don't have to be watered every day. Are there enough bees in your area to fertilize the plants? Give them compost or a good organic fertilizer-I did that and got so many tomatoes I didn't know what to do with them all. Also do you have them in cages? They need to be held upright with stakes or cages when they get big.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Blosom end rot? I hate when that happens. Is there any places through your community to ask? Like a home extention program through your local unniverstiy or others in your area experiencing this? I hope you find what works to save them. Sending my care & Happy gardening wishes!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Sounds like a deficiency in the soil, and possibly too much water.
    Anonymous

• Overwatering?
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You've got to FEED tomato plants really well. The dirt may not have everything they need especially when they begin to "make". They need ALOT. I give mine a 1/2 gal of Miracle Grow (water soluble kind) every 10 days and every 10 days I give them ammonia water too. I do not give them both on the same day though. a week apart. It sounds to me like they are lacking nutrients. Do you have any gophers?? Gophers will eat the roots under the plant and they will die quicker than you can't imagine. I will check back to see what you think.....Gophers will make a little hole about size of a golf ball to side of stem of one or more of plants...they come up now and then. It's a telltale sign. If that's not it...Idk bcz I don't know your zone or what pests. ?? I'm sorry. I love to grow tomatoes. How frustrating that is!!!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• for Ammonia , fill a 5 gal bucket and add 3/4 cup of pure Ammonia...the kind you clean with (try not to use pine or lemon scent but lemon will be okay if that's all you can find) I've just given you my fathers age old trick for growing awesome tomatoes --prize winning at the fair! he would kill me, lol......hahahaha.
    plants can use these materials to build amino acids and proteins, and grow by using them as needed.
    You will notice after a Miracle Gro feed or Ammonia feed....they will get greeeeen and gorgeous and take off like rockets. As far as pests..I wish I knew how to help you.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Might even be a critter eating the plants at the root ~ do you have gophers?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2011