Another TLC Extreme Couponing Back Lash, Have you seen this one?

This is from Yahoo Finance Financially Fit. There are actually women out there who are getting depressed from not being able to do what they do on the show. Sigh.....

Yahoo Financially Fit

It's not always showing up on their server, so I have posted the article in quotes on my blog:  Yahoo Article

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 11:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• i enjoy the show (mainly because i get to yell at the tv like my hubby does his football, lol). but i do think it is a bit absurd. why on earth would i need 35 cans of spagetti O's? i wish i could more coupons for things like flour, produce and meat (i got a salad coupon in the mail and got all excited, my hubby thought i was nuts). i am just afraid the people that take it to the extreme will ruin it for those of us that use it to help with the food budget.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• The women on that show turn out to be the women on Extreme Hoarding which motivates me to not want to be anything like these ladies!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I'm just concerned about the TYPES of oods the people on this show are buying... Yakisoba noddle bowls, pop tarts and the like... Ok where are the fruits and vegetables? I can totally see saving money on things like household cleaners, shampoo, pads, deorderant, toilet paper.... maybe cereals and such.. but to stock up on 100 boxes of packaged meals just because you have a coupon that gets them at .10 each.... well really? is that going to help your health? Why can't food stores have coupons for veggies and fruits!

I've seen the show many times.. i do find it fascinating to a degree... but why is is that many of the people featured on this show are overweight?
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 11:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My daughter watches this show. I have heard too much about it. Idon't watch....i rarely watch TLC. The shows on that channel are pathetic.Really. If women get depressed because they can't be successful at "couponing", they need to see a Doctor.....its too sad.
    TLC has "I Didn't know I was Pregnant" ...@@ and "Say Yes to the Dress"...a bunch of high maintenance,spoiled freaky looking women who can't decide which $10,000. dress looks the sexiest....LOL.(I though sexy was for clubbing?) Wow.....low IQ presentations.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• This is just one more good reason to keep on enjoying what I do ... grow my own veggies, raise my own meat, can and dehydrate it, and make my own cleaners from simple things like vinegar and baking soda.

Now, if you happen to find some good coupons for Ball lids I might be interested (provided that buying them at a store locally would be a better deal than ordering them online).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Being depressed about it is a bit 'extreme'. I like to save money just like the next person, but I also want my retailers to be able to net a profit so that they can stay in business as well. Grocery stores don't work off of a high profit margin as it is. I prefer to save money by purchasing ingredients to make foods at home instead of spending more on ready made meals. If I happen to have some coupons for items that I regularly purchase then I love to use them. The one time I watched the show the lady doing her purchasing bought a ridiculous amount of products. What on earth will she do with 25 tubes of lipstick? I guess that's what ebay is for.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Eh, it's not TLC's fault. I bet we wouldn't do too well at deep sea fishing in Alaska either.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I watched the first episode of that show and just can't make myself do it again. A friend of mine who runs a hospital psychiatric department jokes that extreme-couponing will become a new obsession she'll be treating in short order. Perhaps the depressed folk looking to pay a quarter for a $1000 worth of merchandise unsuccessfully are proving her right.

I just can't fathom hoarding stuff that I have no real overwhelming use for just because I can. I don't need a 100 bottles of ketchup. I think people that can save using coupons are great. I try. I often forget what I do clip and save at home - something I realize as I'm checking out and kicking myself. ;)

On the other hand, too often coupons are things like "buy two boxes of this and save a $1" well...I don't NEED two boxes and saving a dollar isn't helping me if I have to spend more to get it.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Oh, this reminds me of something. The sad part is that there are people that can really use the savings a few coupons will bring them. But a handful of people who are able to abuse the system by going so far to an extreme could ruin it for everyone.

I remember about 10 years ago there was a pet supply e-store that would offer coupons for money off no-minimum order required. If you looked around you could find free shipping codes. toss in a manufac. coupon here or there, the money off code, shipping code and come away with supplies at no cost. There were web sites where you could go get codes even if you weren't on mailing lists, etc. The same codes got used over and over. That estore went out of business and others like it started putting in restrictions on how you could use your discounts.
    Anonymous

• I would love to be able to do like they do on the show but, it isn't going to happen and I have accepted that. Being depressed about it is a tad odd, upset maybe but depressed... a bit much
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2011