Head Games?

Video ( 3 minutes)

In this video, a pastor is asking gay teens to come forward to be given freedom from the devil.

A young girl at the end is dramatically announcing that the truth of god will release these kids from the enemy.

The kids that do go up are kneeling, swaying, crying, etc. 

Personally, I don't see anything psychologically healthy about this, at all. At one point it is suggested that the enemy is the one who puts the thoughts in the heads of gay people. It's referred to as perversion

Do you agree with the content of the video? Please explain your answer.

Do you think that this type of preaching can lead to teen suicide? If so, what do you feel would be a solution to ending this type of meme?

As a believer, do you have thoughts that you don't take responsibility for? That you blame on "the enemy"? 

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Religious Debate

• "If you find it anything other than GOOD,for anybody, to give their heart to Jesus & to be forgiven for their sins ,to have the love of their Lord , & to want to do their very best to live His will in their life, than I feel VERY SORRY for you ! And you one of many that I pray for every night ! GOD BLESS YOU !!!"

I feel incredibly sad for you....that you are so delusional to believe that gay people should be made to feel abominations, and as if they need to "fixed". If anyone made YOU feel even remotely the way gay people are made to feel, about your sins I can guarantee you wouldn't be sitting here applauding these so called efforts of "love". I think your idea of love and "good" have become insanely twisted and wicked.
    Please do me a favor and do NOT pray for me. i do not need your twisted energy being put out into the universe on my behalf. Truly, I beg of you, to find what true love and forgiveness and grace means.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• FINALLY!! A REAL QUESTION!! thank you, op!

i disagree with the video, completely..and any similar form of its intention. even as a christian, i can see where this is emotional-dredging (yeah, just made that up), and begs for peer-pressure response from the teens.
    teen suicide? idk about that. i don't pretend to know the reasons for any suicide..if we did, we could prevent them. IMO.
    my thoughts are my thoughts. i blame no one, nor do i blame 'the enemy'. (i have been known to blame my dh, though.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Don't believe homosexuality to be a sin- don't believe its a good idea to "cleanse" anyone- believe in the power and strength of self that can come with faith- faith has always been a positive influence in my life-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• That is disgsting. It certainly could lead to suicides. It is 'brainwashing' in the name of God. I wonder what God thinks about those frauds who are accusing these poor kids of perversions?I am sure He doesn't approve.
    Karma will get you, I believe,and those frauds will come to regret what they are doing to those kids.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• IF it were real, no I wouldn't see anything good coming from it, but the entire thing is completely staged.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I guess it could be staged. There was a DVD out a few years ago about the "Jesus Camp"...anyone see that? It was horrible. It was REAL,too.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:28 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Acting, and they aren't homosexuals, and yes the intent is to send a specific message out and not one of love either. So I guess my confusion was in whether you meant is it harmful to those participating in the video, or to others that might view it. and since it is staged those in the video aren't really being harmed(except maybe the younger kids who were there due to their parents/older siblings dragging them along). As for others viewing the video, hopefully they can seperate the video from those they interact with daily, though if the two are similar the results can be disatrous.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I'd say it's harmful even to those acting within it b/c they have already been brainwashed and continue to perpetuate that onto others. They have been taught to think a certain way, which lends to harmful actions upon others, and removes the message of love and hope and forgiveness entirely from their spiritual selves.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Real or not, staged or "genuine", it was sick. The sort of mind that would conceive of such a repulsive display and promote a video like that is sick and disgusting.  What's shameful isn't "girls who are attracted to girls" or "boys who are attracted to boys", it's the kind of people who, in the name of Christianity, feel that they can judge others and suggest that they are under the influence of perverted evil.  The ones who made that video are perverted.  The whole thing angered me so much that I'm having a hard time articulating.  It makes me want to step into that video and bitch-slap everyone who participated in its creation.  Ugh.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• No, I don't believe in an "enemy". I believe this type of preaching is dangerous and unhealthy.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2011