How long..

If you took castor oil to help you along in your labor, how long did it take for it to put you into full labor?
I am 40+ weeks and in labor but it is moving too slow. I did the castor oil once before but once the contractions got severely painful, I had the bright idea to take a bath. None the less, my muscles relaxed and the contractions stopped before I went into full labor. It took me about 17 hours before I got to the really painful contractions and all.
I took the drink again around 11pm last night. I was having horrible contractions all night and they are slightly weaker right now, but I havent gotten out of bed yet, so I have just been laying around lol.
Anyone have a guess as to when it may start kicking in like last time? If it takes the same amount of time, Im going to guess between like 4pm and 6pm tonight.
But I was wondering if anyone else has used castor oil and it was successful and how long it took to work for them.
My midwife suggested the drink to me both times after each time she scraped my membranes. I am not doing anything that I wasnt told was okay.

Also, my nipples are leaking more than usual and I just realized how sensitive and sore they are. Is this a sign of progressing labor? Or is it just normal?

*P.S. Everyone who is going to complain about the castor oil method to me, back off, Ive heard it all already.

lizjones

Asked by lizjones at 11:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Castor oil doesn't always work - and as you've discovered it can cause contractions for a time, but if your body isn't ready they will slow and eventually stop until your body is ready.

Answer by missanc at 11:43 AM on Jun. 28, 2011