Gameing Systems for Preschoolers

Thinking ahead to Christmas and my son's 4th birthday.

My son has an iXL by Fisherprice, and he mastered the games in months. He got it for Christmas 2010 and doesn't play it at all any more.

So I want to get him another system and WOW! there's so much out there.

I thought a Leapster 2. Since he plays it everytime we go to the store where it's displayed.

Then someone told me about the Leap Pad Explorer that's coming out. Think iPad for preschoolers.

Then I thought an iPad, but even a Gen 1 I can't afford...he's been playing the iPod since 2.

Then I thought, maybe I would get him a DS lite. They have more games for his age group than I thought.

I mean, I'm HUGE on education, but not everything has to ooze it, right?

I'm not making the choice final until I can see and play with a Leap Pad Explorer.

But what do you all think?

SouthernMama08

Asked by SouthernMama08 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ~*Leapster*~... I love it and forces them to actually learn not just mindless play like a PSP or gameboy
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My son has the IXL as well and loves it still...but he recently discovered the nintendo ds :( I don't think he will be getting that but i agree with the previous answer leapster has handheld game systems and they;re educational! :)
    YerMami24

Answer by YerMami24 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• vsmile, we have a wii that has learning games and can grow with them as they grow so we don't ever actually "outgrow" the entire system and have to buy a new one and a new set of games
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:45 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• And please do not get me wrong... we have a Nintendo DS (so used to calling it a gameboy since I grew up with one)... but on my kids' chore boards... we list Computer games (Jumpstart) and Leapster as one of the things they can earn magnets for! I am not going to count the XBox, DS, or PlayStation since it is mindless stuff and they don't learn anything from them... but we do have them... we have a 15 year old too... Hahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• my ds loved his VMotion, still plays it occasionally. and the Leapster2, as well, still goes on long car trips..he's 6, now. he wants a Wii, because his cousins have them. idk if he'll get one for xmas, or not.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I still have that VSmile... and it was a huge waste of money for us at least... my kids were well above it intellectually
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I'm really looking for a hand held. We have a Wii that he plays.
    SouthernMama08

Comment by SouthernMama08 (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• my girls ages 9,7 and 6 love wii, leapster, v smile, ds, leapster even has a machine that can either go into the tv or handheld one.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I love the Leapster 2 for my DD.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• We just got DS Lites for my twins. I was surprized to see all the educational games they have for them. We got them used from GameStop and their website lists so many games plus I like to look at the reviews of people who already have the games. It's a game system they can grow with.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2011